Orchid grower

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

heliomum

I see this kid at some orchid shows in San Francisco. I've seen him for about 3 years. He's very interested in orchids. His parents don't seem like they are orchid hobbyists. He's looks about 12-ish now. Has anyone else seen him? Or do you know any young orchid growers?

How young is young? I feel young, but I am in my 30's. I started growing around the age of 25.

I got interested in orchids when I was 14 and read Jack Kramer's "Growing Orchids at Your Windows". Talked my parents into building me a small greenhouse by age 16. Lost my collection of about 100 orchids at age 18 due to a heater failure. Spent the past 20+ years working my butt off, raising a family, and looking forward to the day when I could indulge my hobby once again. Currently, I am making up for lost time!

I got my oldest son (the younger kids never gave a **** about orchids) into orchids when he was in his teens... He used to come with me to the GNYOS shows, got a big kick out of talking to Harold Koopowitz...I remember I had to buy him a fairreanum because it was his favorite orchid...when he got to college, he took a course with Ken Cameron, and did a project on multifloral paph DNA...he got to prove that my sanderianum seedling was, as expected, PEOY........interestingly enough, turned out that my roth was not really a roth.....but now he's in medical school and not exactly thinking much about orchids. But even though I'm an old fart, do I count as young because I am immature? Take care, Eric

Are you young to ask such a Q? I wish I would of been much younger when I started growing orchids. I've spent the last 22 yrs grown Paphs and still trying to figure out how to it a better way:eek:
If you're concerned about this young man then you should approch his parents and ask "what 's the story with your son":)

Eric, been there, done that -- he will have time for his first love eventually!

We currently have at least three young orchid growers in our society. One is too young to drive, so his parents bring him. Another, who is a member of the forums, is just a year or two out of high school and is already breeding Cyps.

We had a really great prospect at the NH show a month ago. Redhead (if anyone sees him around...) maybe 14-ish? Glen Decker talked to him for quite a while, while I was busy selling for him while he talked so I had to chase the poor boy down to give him one of our cards. He came back and bought a Fanaticum, I think?

Dude, if you've joined! WELCOME and say hello! and if not...damn.

Zach (who I haven't seen around these parts in awhile) and I are both 21, I don't think anyone on the forum is younger. It's good to pick up hobbies early, but it's never too late to start.
22! I've decided to slack off for my final semester, so you may see me around here more often. We'll see! Once the natives start opening up, I'll definitely be posting some photos. One of my personal favorites, Listera australis, should be coming up and blooming in two to three weeks.

I first started growing orchids when I was in third grade, so that would've made me 7 or 8, I think. I grew until mid middle-school, but then I lost everything to mealies. I started back up about two years ago when I was 20.

As for the youngest on this forum, I think that's Alfonso. He's also one of the few to have an orchid named after him: Maxillaria x doucetteana (by Eric Christenson in a recent OD).

We currently have at least three young orchid growers in our society. One is too young to drive, so his parents bring him. Another, who is a member of the forums, is just a year or two out of high school and is already breeding Cyps.

Two years to be exact. I am not that young.:p I have been growing orchids for what seven years now and still love my cypripediums? Wow, I am getting old.:rollhappy: Who is the other grower? I am thinking of one.

Zach (who I haven't seen around these parts in awhile) and I are both 21, I don't think anyone on the forum is younger. It's good to pick up hobbies early, but it's never too late to start.

Got yea beat, 20 years old for a few more months. :evil:

I just turned 20.
but I don't remember when I first was interested in orchids. maybe 10?

Yeah, I'm 20 too. I got my first orchid (white Dendrobium) when I was 8.

Nice to see people my own age growing. I thought I was weird there for a moment.:) Honestly don't know any body my age who like plants as much as I do. We'll that comes with the territory of playing ice hockey all your life. Speaking of which, the MN State Hockey Tourney is on. Gotta run.

Latest posts

Back