Orchid grower

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a great thread! I just read through the whole thing. I am delighted by the young people here. I did not start growing orchids until I was about 18. I grew only cattleyas then and absolutely hated paphs. Now I grow almost only paphs. All told I've only been growing maybe 7-8 years if you count up all the time in Texas, then a few months in Boise, a few years in Seattle and now in Oregon. Had I continued to grow orchids since I was 18 that would be 28 years of growing. I certainly don't feel 46, but I am.

I hope that each of us can help inspire a younger generation of people to be interested in orchids and conservation. Their help will be paramount in the conservation of habitat and the preservation of species, whether artifically or in their natural habitats.

This is a great thread and I am moved by the young people here who participate. Hats off to ALL OF US.

Craig

I was in elementary school when I started heavy in tropical fish. My mom would drive me to Greater Pittsburgh Aquarium Society monthly meetings and shows. Later, I worked at Elmer's Aquarium in Monroeville and my brothers and mom toted me back and forth until I could drive. Gotta get the younger folks involved!!! Cyp#### has an awesome start- dude, pump out those cyps! He knows his stuff on Paphs too! He's got a good local guy in Paphreek to keep him on track. Hockey too- what's your position? Weekend warrior goalie here (roller not ice and been a while)... knees age quickly in goal though.

-Steve Jobs (Ernie)

Yep I started growing orchid when I was 14 years old and that is about -ish years ago.:rollhappy:

Ramon:)

Cyp#### has an awesome start- dude, pump out those cyps! He knows his stuff on Paphs too! He's got a good local guy in Paphreek to keep him on track. Hockey too- what's your position? Weekend warrior goalie here (roller not ice and been a while)... knees age quickly in goal though.

-Steve Jobs (Ernie)

It is very cool to here from some one as experienced as Erine in saying I know my paphs. Thank you! I like to think of them as a hobby within a hobby because I am a full blown addicted cyp. grower.

Paphreek is an amazing source for information and on the trips to the society meetings and other events I learn more and more. When it comes to paphs. He knows all and I soak it all up like a sponge. Though I believe he is trying to sway me from the path of parvi's and brachy, I am on to you Ross!:p

I played hockey all the way through high school. I played center for most it but spent time as a wing. Now I play just at the local rink but I joined a league this year and played center. Do they have ice where you live?:rollhappy:

This is why I hid my plant growing from the world because growing up playing sports mainly hockey (Loved) and baseball (hated) there was that stigma of growing plants wasn't "cool" so I shyed away from telling people. Not until I graduated I told any one I grew plants. Seriously my immediate family, a couple of relatives, a few close friends, and a few teachers were the only people who knew. When I graduated it was my coming out party so to say.:clap: I wish I would have told everyone sooner because I didn't realize they had orchid societies, orchid shows, and forums. These past two years especially this past one has been a blast because I have met so many nice people who are willing to help and share information, a fine example would be Paphreek(Ross). Now I have a job where I sell plants to people and love because they actually pay me to work with plants so I can pay for more plants! Awesome!:D

-Jeran

Thanks Jeran. I've also learned much from Jeran during our trips to society meetings. Meeting and exchanging information with other growers both here, on the forum, and at society meetings is what keeps the hobby fresh and exciting for me.:)

How young does one need to be to be considered 'young'? Does young in heart count? In June I will be 76. My age doesn't keep me from growing more than 400 orchids in my home. My orchids keep me young.

Yeah, we have ice, but without the proper training, being between the pipes on ice can mean instant death after the first slap shot. :) I'll have to post a pic of my mask. A damn good replica of Tom Barrasso's early 90's Penguins Stanley Cup era mask.

Grandma M, young is certainly in the individual's eye! Live it up girl!

-Steve Jobs (Ernie)

How young does one need to be to be considered 'young'? Does young in heart count? In June I will be 76. My age doesn't keep me from growing more than 400 orchids in my home. My orchids keep me young.

Wow! And to think that complain about looking after 70.

I don't know what counts as "young" either. I'm 26 and still often feel like a kid, be it when I notice a spike or deal with some vendors. I started growing plants when I was still in school but only got into orchids about 18 months ago.

I worked in my dad's backyard and rooftop gardens as a kid. Then at the country house so I've always had an interest in plants. Orchids are the most challenging and interesting so far. Most of us here are young at heart..it's the orchids! :D

Started growing orchids two years ago when I was 22.

Generally, I had an overall interest for Paphiopedilum from the start. I went through a Cattleya phase (which phased out fairly quick) then Paphiopedilum and some Phrag came thundering in.

Latest posts

Back