Orchid Fragrances

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYEric

Reaction score
Hi. There have been some posts about fragrances in orchids and I was wondering; w/ the exception of Cattleyas and Catt hybrids what people find to be the nicest [most] fragrant.
Personally I think dendrobium kingianum (and hybrids) and maxillaria tenuifolia. Anyone else?

Miltoniopsis have a very pleasant fragrance which fills the greenhouse in May through July. Oncidium ornithorynchum is very fragrant and contributes this in its progeny such as Oncidium Sharry Baby. Zygopetalums are very fragrant. Brassavola nodosa has a distinctive evening fragrance. There are many more examples.

I agree, one of my favorite fragrant orchids is Oncidium Sharry Baby. Every time I smell the flowers, I just want to eat them! The flowers just smell like chocolate covered cherries! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:drool::drool::drool:

My favorite Cattleya species, is Cattleya walkeriana, I love the citrus smell.

Other fragrant orchids that come to mind are Trichopilia fragrans. It almost smells overpowering (like Easter lilies). Coryanthes and Stanhopea's can be pretty fragrant as well (but usually an unusual indescribable fragrance). One orchid that always reminds me of some tropical beach, is Maxillaria tenuifolia. It smells like coconut sun tan lotion!, and who can't forget Neofinetia falcata, it too has a delightful fragrance.

Robert

Some more good ones! Seeing miltonias don't like me, that's an easy one for me to overlook. I like Sharry Baby put the one I have you need to be a couple of feet away to pick up a fragrance.

Paph malipoense, plants are suppose to range from smelling of raspberries to others smelling of pine.
i'll give another vote for Brassavola nodosa as it's one of my favorite smells.
also, Coelogyne speciosa has a very, very mild but, i think, very pleasant smell.

For fragrance, my favorites are Cymbidium sinense, and Angraecum magdelena and its hybrid Vigulena - same smell. These perfume the house. Hands down, these are the best.

Lycaste skinneri, Paph emersonii, Masd datura, Lycaste macrophylla all have less powerful but very pleasant fragrances.

Brassavola cucullata!!!!! But only at night...........
Best fragrant paph? P. emersonii!!!! Eric

the fragrance i love most is of nobile type dends... dend anosmum (although the name means otherwise..), and some of the nigrohirsute dends (dend Frosty Dawn etc).. dend leonis, although small-flowered also smells like vanilla..brassavola nodosa and Little Star smells 'spicy' at night.. phal cornu-cervi has a refreshing slightly sour smell in the mornings.. phaius tankervilliae is fragrant too...

Personally I think dendrobium kingianum (and hybrids) and maxillaria tenuifolia. Anyone else?

Never thought I'd have to admit to agreeing with Eric (on the kingianum) but that's okay because I adamantly disagree on the Max (reminds me of hair products).

Another fave is Den pachyphyllum - smells divine... when it blooms.... I almost lost the plant, but it's now putting out a few new leads so hopefully they'll mature and bloom soon.

Hmph! :rolleyes:
My initial thought was for a list of easily accessible, highly fragrant [pleasant] orchids. Lycastes, and some of the dendros, aren't common in NYC but you can walk into flower shops and get other dendros or Onc. Sharry Baby.

In that case.... Some of the onc types are nice too. I had this white one, Tropical
Splendor I think, that had a nice peppery sweet scent. I liked it because it was mild and mildy sweet.

Floofy catt scents usually get a good response though.

Hmph! :rolleyes:
My initial thought was for a list of easily accessible, highly fragrant [pleasant] orchids. Lycastes, and some of the dendros, aren't common in NYC but you can walk into flower shops and get other dendros or Onc. Sharry Baby.

neos :poke: im looking to place an order at OL for some sphag....

Latest posts

Back