Orchid Fragrances

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd have to agree on the Neo's and I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sedirea japonica, that cirus fragrance is awesome!

Don't torture me -I haven't had the pleasure - YET! I have a neo & sedirea but no blooms yet, cold weather is on the way, I'm sure that will help!

For filling the entire room with fragrance, Stanhopeas have little competition. Of course for really bad odor, Bulbophyllum phalaenopsis and others will fill the room also.........

Vanda tricolor has a strong floral fragrance.

A couple of surprizing ones for me are Phal fasciata (tangerine) and Phal parrishii (strong floral).

My Bulbo cornutum (yes a bulbo:evil:) has a very pleasent perfumy/floral/spicy smell.

A bad surprize was Cattleya irricolor. BAD BO

Hi there,

I envie you all!!!! The only orchid I have ever smelled is an Oncidium species that I really don't know which one was it, cause there are no tags (labels) on orchids here(!!!!!!!!!!!!), that was really pleasant and refreshing! It made me kind of happily dissy (I guess it is spelled like this!!!!????) and "reset" myself....

Thanasis... :)

Hi again,

I have also smelled a native species here in Greece called Himantoglossum robertianum... Simillar smell with the one above, but much much slighter than the former!!! Just for the pollinators' pleasure...

There are a lot already mentioned I want to second but won’t with all of them to save space. B. cucullata has to get an extra round of applause from me though for having been in bud or flower for years, also B. grandiflora for the first fourth to a third of the year reliably (powdery citrus on that one)…B. nodosa and I are at odds because I can’t get it to bloom, leaving me feeling like the village idiot (My husband has caught me tough-talking it).

Other favorites are Meiracyllium wendlandii, which blooms reliably with a nice display of magenta, cinnamon-scented flowers every November, Epi. nocturnum, which blooms throughout most of the year, Epi. magnoliae… Did anyone mention Paph. delenatii or Phrag. schlimii? That last one passed on the rose scent to my Phrag. Elizabeth Castle which I enjoy all the more for it. There are many more of course. You can hardly go wrong with any of the angraecoids—Aerangis fastuosa and Angraecum didieri are my favorites among those so far, but I have yet to sniff the Angraecum florulentum which I’ve read in multiple places is “best of the genus” for fragrance. Masd. strobelii, Masd. glandulosa, the hybrid of the two Masd. Confetti, Masd. Celtic Frost… Den. moniliforme is really nice too.

My Stanhopea jenischiana was blooming last week, so that one tops my list. Also near the top is Brassavola cucullata.

I think I have one of those Stanhopeas. Can you post a photo of blooming size? The green sarcoglottis I posted turned out to be fragrant and I picked up a Onc. Sharry Baby and a miltoniopsis from the Chinatown store for a good price to send to the good samaritan who picked me up when I ran off the rode but have not been able to track him down So I 2 fragrant orchids w/ bulbs!! :p

My favourite is Paph hangianum and is very interesting that keeps the scent also on dried flower.
I love scent of all Aerides group and like a lot to eat the shugar produced.
Bulb ambrosia is nice and in the night,some Angraecum have exceptional smell.

I am with Nik for the stanhopeas, and then, my catt schroederae opened again with 2 blooms: Honey taste fills a good deal of my gh!!!! Jean

Onc. Twinkle can be pretty strong that I've noticed, but it was sitting right next to my desk.. I remember thinking right after I got mine that it didn't seem to be that scented...then I picked it up to water it, accidentally waved it under my nose and was almost overwhelmed.

I'd have to say the winner so far though is my Dendrobium anosmum. I just bought it at the show a couple of weeks ago. Only about 1/3 of one of the approximately three foot canes still had flowers. The flowers were basically dried and getting ready to fall off. It was pretty strong when we bagged the orchid for transit...I'm hoping I won't be completely overwhelmed when the flowers are fresh. It was the predominant smell in my orchid room for most of the next week.

omg no one mentioned gongora quinquinervis? the BEST..makes you want to carry it around for the whole 2 days it's in flower...

Coelogyne flaccida is fairly strong, but some people don't like it. It's kind of musky.

Some of my favourites are Onc. Sharry Baby and ornithorhynchum. Stanhopeas are awesome! Has anyone smelled Cyp. parviflorum var. makasin? Amazing vanilla scent!

alot have already been mentioned, and rick mentioned vanda tricolor (suavis); I once tried to make a hybrid between tricolor and phal corningiana, the two fragrances were so nice! (pod didn't hold)

It's now Spring, if you get a chance, put your noses into the north american native, Cypripedium pubescens. They have a charming peach or nectarine like fragrance, fruity and sweet.

Latest posts

Back