Orchid exposure.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYEric

Reaction score
Today I read a post about someone who went to their first orchid show and it brought to mind a conversation I had w/ Marco and LIJane about going to greenhouses. Jane said she didn't like to go to vendors gh's. but that's the only way I know to search out and find stuff they don't have on their website or that they don't even know that they have. Now I know some neophytes might not belong to a local or national orchid society [yet!], or that some people live in the sticks far from any vendors :D, and not everyone has Lowes or Home Depots that sell orchids in their areas, so... I was wondering about people that found this site but don't have personal experience w/ shows or societies or visiting open houses or vendors? Anyone care to comment, and why? :confused:

Make sure you don't catch orchid fever after the INITIAL EXPOSURE.
I accidently stumbled on an exposition in a mall. Bought my first NOID cymbidium , and my health & my wallet have been deteriorated since then.:D

As a kid in rural Mississippi, trust me, NOBODY gave a crap about orchids except me. All I had were catalogs and AOS Bulletins (now known as Orchids Magazine). 30 years later (I was a very young kid!) I finally find myself settled into a city (Memphis) with a great orchid society and it is wonderful! There are dozens of folks here in town that are EXTREMELY knowledgeable and experienced in growing orchids. Of course, there are all of you great folks I have come to know on Slippertalk, too! So anyway, I just wanted to say that it is wonderful to connect with all the great people who share my passion for orchids -- much better than those lonely days with nothing but a Jones & Scully catalog!

I love going to green houses. Seeing stuff in person is different. I like it more so than seeing them at a show because the selection at the show is limited.

Who's Marco?

Hey Marco! Gald to see the taxes didn't get to ya!

I simply love going to greenhouses. As stated already, the choices far exceed catalogues and you are surrounded by orchids.

I was a member of this site for about a year before I even knew there was an orchid society in my area. I meet a member through the two forums (Paphreek) and each month now I can't wait to go.:crazy: I like to think of the meeting as orchids anonymous. But they only encourage my addiction.

At my lowes, It is my job to take care, sell, and order all the plants. I always make sure I have a healthy supply of Phals, Dend., Cymbidiums, Oncidiums, and Vanda. I even discussed trying to get some orchids from Orchids Limited with my boss. To my surprise she was ok with it. You don't have to tell me twice to get more orchids.:clap:

-Jeran

Hilariously, I was always afraid to buy an orchid from Home Depot or Walmart, etc. because I didn't know how to take care of the things. After lurking on the orchid forum of a large gardening website for about six months, I bought my first orchids from a grower's greenhouse last March. I was able to get lots of information from the grower as to how to take care of them. Plus it's heavenly just to walk around their greenhouses, especially in the winter, and take in the tropical atmosphere. Yummy.

I recently joined our local Orchid Society and also the AOS. I went to my first orchid show in Edmonton last month. I found this website a couple months ago, I think thanks to Toddybear. Now my orchid "room" has a humidifer, a fan and I'm thinking of adding a three-tiered grow light system because I talked the hubby into removing the futon-bed that was in the room and there's space... After one year of collecting, I own 32 orchids and can't imagine stopping now...:rollhappy:

Going to Open Houses has had a direct influence on what I grow. Going to a nursery when they aren't having an open house is even better because they have more time and you can really see things. I think that's probably why I don't really like spending too much time at shows - its certainly difficult to 'browse' and the vendors rarely have time to do more than move on to the next customer. That said, I've found that even with vendors that I've only dealt with on-line, most are very happy to have a look in the greenhouse if I ask them about something specific that I'm looking for.

I'm not a lurker, but I am jealous of cyp's MN Lowe's. Now and then a see a couple of common Phals at ours.

Before I took over the job all we had were phals., but I changed that quickly. Now hopefully I can get some stuff from Orchids Limited! Maybe some slippers?

-Jeran

Started when I was six years old, and there were a lot of nurseries in my country, and hobbyists. International exposure was the AOS Bulletin, and dosens of cataloques a year from firms like Rod Mclellum, Macbeans, Fred A Stewart, Armacoast and Royston and a few others that were willing to send it to me.
Now,forty years down the line we only have three real orchid nurseries, and they are all selling the same stuff mainly from Tailand and Taiwan. Not a lot of orchid lovers as well, but were trying to revive the hobby.Good slippers are not really available, we rely on internationals to visit the country to pre-order.
So you must enjoy what you have in breeders and commercial establishments whenever you can. Expose yourself to orchids(I wonder who remember that ad from Emmerson Doc Charles?)

I kinda hate shows but deal with it. (I may even end up at Parkside on the SEPOS weekend - I don't think I'll spend all that much time at the show.)

I like to go to ghs because it's nice to know what kind of environment the plants are growing in - sometimes I decide never to buy from a particular vendor because of what I saw at the gh. But most of the time the ghs are really enjoyable and I come out with 10x more than I intended.

I hope Al is able to get up and running again, because his place was always a delight to visit.

Heather, you'll need more than one day, and no, the day won't miraculously come. Chicago should be easy - just go buy that plane ticket! :poke:

Parkside was more fun than I expected so I'm hoping I'll make another visit.

you know, though..... the plant budget is pretty horrendous already, and the plant-travel budget is also getting out of hand.... Not to mention that going to these places means more plant purchases and less time to earn the $$ to pay for it all.

I have been to Parkside Fest a number of times, but it could not compare to Chicagoland in the fall. There is something about visiting each each greenhouse that is so worthwhile. Also there are guest vendors at each greenhouse. My husband was working in Chicago at the time so I just tagged along for the weekend. I made the circuit by myself with a GPS unit, but it would have been much more fun with an orchid fiend like myself.

Latest posts

Back