Orchid Culture Dumbass Awards

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rick said:
Breaking spikes are generally considered pretty dumbass and I've down that more than once (extra dumb).

The most recent event was when I went to staple a split seed capsule in a coffee filter and turned it upside down to get a better angle with the stapler. Lost almost all the seed.:sob:

Ok well I've had my dumbass share. I bought a Bllra Tahoma Glacier at a local nursery and ended up break the spike while watering :( . I dunno maybe the "the spike was to tall excuse may work". Because it was fairly tall .But yeah I learned my lesson. Always carry the plant in front of you at all times!:poke:

Rick - I would've loved to that "oh $#!7" look on your face when you finally realized. lol :poke:

Its good when you can be the beneficiary of another's dumbass mistake...When I first bought the haynaldianum mentioned in another post, the guy at the plant shop accidentally cut off the top bud while wrapping it...I got it for $15......When I asked him how much the plant in the ashtray was, I got a blooming Brassavola cuculatta for $5....and both those plants are still with me after more than 20 years....Take care, Eric

Done dumb things too!

Like the time I used Tri Sodium Phosphate on the plants instead of Epsom Salts - Had sterile pots but dead plants.

big pots mean big orchid plants

Hello my name is Patrix and I am an overly large potter. It worked with house plants so my mistake was naive but honest, I have killed many orchids until I became enlightened and joined the AOS and a local orchid group. Now I have many giant empty pots, crypts and mausoleums for pinecones behind the greenhouse

I've killed more orchids than I can count but.. a few years ago I came up w/ the brilliant idea to put a tray full of nice Catt hybrids from World of Orchids on the roof [black roofing] w/ a green glame' mesh 'shade cloth' one summer day. Woo, fried, dyed, and layed to the side. It looked like they were barbequed! :sob:

Latest posts

Back