Orchid-centric Hawaii Trip

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAB

Reaction score
My better half and me are heading to the Big Island of Hawaii this spring and it has turned into a rather orchid-centric holiday ;) This is our first time to Hawaii in general and we have a number of things planned including snorkeling, hitting the volcanoe, hiking etc. but I wanted to ask specifically about some of the orchid ventures we are taking and get opinions as to good/bad, or if there is something we are missing.
I have looked up a bunch of orchid nurseries but most are not open to the public (plus honestly the budget will be a bit tight already). Akatsuka offers a tour that costs. Worth it? I have also heard that the Fairmont Orchid has a nice display on the grounds, true? We cannot afford that joint but could hit it up to check out some nice species if it was worth the while.
Here is a rough idea of our itinerary:

KONA SIDE
-----------------------
* Ethnobotanical Garden
* Kona Orchid Society meeting

VOLCANO
----------------------
* Akatsuka Orchids

HILO SIDE
---------------------
* Pana'ewa Rainforest Zoo & Gardens
* Tropical Botanical Garden
* Akaka Falls State Park
* Hawaii Vanilla Company (farm tour)
* Hilo Orchid Society meeting
* Carmela Orchids (?)

Thanks folks! We are stoked to visit such a diverse island and not leave the US!
Jake

See of you can go to Quintal Farms. Make sure you bring some Henniken. It is on the Hilo side

Excellent.
Is Quintal open to the public? And do you mean Heineken the beer?
Thanks!

I have been to the Big Island several times. Last time was Oct. 2013. Akatsuka is generally worth at least a quick look around, but I wouldn't pay for the tour. Always seemed too expensive to me. In general it is more touristy, but I still have a couple nice plants I got there.

I did not make it to Carmela in 2013 but in the past has always been well worth the visit. They always gave great discounts on plants that I purchased :D.

Akaka Falls is a nice walk. Not many orchids, but lots of tropical foliage and flowers. They now charge to park at the lot there, but when I went I found a parking spot just off-site.

Susan

Latest posts

Back