Orchiata size recommendations

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likespaphs

some call me brian
Reaction score
hi
i don't know if i missed it in the other posts on Orchiata, but any suggestions on sizes for multis, sequential species, parvis, etc?
thanks

I can't speak for others, but I use it as part of a mix with Sponge Rock and some kind of stone or clay. I use #5 for seedlings and 5A for most larger plants.

I always mix it with sponge rock, lava rock, and a little charcoal and sand.

More or less along Ray's lines....maybe closer to 30%. Certainly for brachy's I try to go more like 40% inorganic.

Have tried 80/20 Orchiata/perlite and it seemed to work fine based on my growing conditions. Lately I have tried straight orchiata and things seem to be ok too. Give me another year to see how things progress.

I've been using straight Orchiata, and it seems fine. The holes between the bark chunks stay open, so no air spacers are needed.

Over the next six months I'll be repotting everything in the greenhouse into straight orchiata, except for the phals and phrags and bulbos and a few odds and ends that are in sphagnum.

Back