Orchiata bark

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilda

Reaction score
North East Tennessee, Z6 , Sunroom, flourecent lig
Unpotting a paph that was bought in Orchiata ,and wanting to change mediums...I was not impressed with root growth. Probably my culture, but the paph just sat there. Good roots, they just did not grow much in a year, basically like it was when I placed it in Orchiata.
I encountered the orchiata was very difficult to remove where the roots had attached. It pulled the hair covering off the root Like super glued to the root ! Could that cause the roots to not grow ??

When you tried to get the orchiata off the roots were the roots and bark dry or moist?
I don't think adhering tightly to the bark in itself would cause the roots to not grow.
On second thought were a lot of bark chips stuck to roots or only a few?

When you tried to get the orchiata off the roots were the roots and bark dry or moist?
I don't think adhering tightly to the bark in itself would cause the roots to not grow.
On second thought were a lot of bark chips stuck to roots or only a few?

Yes, it was moist and a lot stuck to all the roots..all the roots were on the side & bottom of the pot ..none in the center. I finally gave up and left it stuck..was tired of it pulling the hair off the roots.

Something inhibited root growth if the roots avoided the center of the pot.
Did any new roots grow from the base of the plant during the year?

It could be that the roots adhered too tightly to the bark and in so doing drastically reduced the active root surface that was exposed to water and fertilizer.

I've been using Orchiata for quite some time and never noticed any
inhibited root development. All my slippers seem very happy in it.
Which size Orchiata are you using? What plant? Plastic or clay pots?
I'm always interested in the occasional problems some growers have
with this bark.

Yeah, I leave stuck pieces alone rather than damage roots.

Angela, It was the small /medium size. Just a run of the mill hybrid x. plastic pot.

Ozpaph, I watered it along with my other slippers....didn't know about specifics till I noticed this problem , and found the info about urea fertilizer. I've been using MSU for rain water.

Something inhibited root growth if the roots avoided the center of the pot.

Lance, I think that might be an over interpretation. I have had paphs in Orchiata, other bark brands, CHC, sphagnum, and LECA, both in S/H and traditional culture, and purchased them from any number of vendors around the continental US and Hawaii, and they pretty much all end up with roots on the perimeter of the pot, with a gap in the middle.

I am not denying the possibility of in-pot issues, but generally, I view the root mass morphology not as a flaw with the medium or culture, but an effort by the plant to mechanically stabilize itself in the pot. These plants have a remarkably small base supporting large leaves, making them inherently unstable.

Lance, I think that might be an over interpretation. I have had paphs in Orchiata, other bark brands, CHC, sphagnum, and LECA, both in S/H and traditional culture, and purchased them from any number of vendors around the continental US and Hawaii, and they pretty much all end up with roots on the perimeter of the pot, with a gap in the middle.

I am not denying the possibility of in-pot issues, but generally, I view the root mass morphology not as a flaw with the medium or culture, but an effort by the plant to mechanically stabilize itself in the pot. These plants have a remarkably small base supporting large leaves, making them inherently unstable.

Ray it may very well be an over iterpretation or maybe it is just wrong. But if there were no roots growing in the mass of bark there is a reason for it so I chose the word "inhibited". I did not blame the problem on the Orchiata product.
By observation it this case the roots did not want to grow into the bark for some reason.

Well we may as well "discuss". :poke: for the sake of accuracy.
I have no interest in Orchiata one way or the other but I would like to glean plant growth info from the discussion.

Above you said this about Orchiata "and they pretty much all end up with roots on the perimeter of the pot, with a gap in the middle".

Back in another thread you said this in defense of Orchiata "Having unpotted a few plants that needed to be moved to larger pots, I assure you that roots grow throughout the medium. I'm not about to unpot one just to prove it to you, though."

Can you please clarify which is the root growth result you consider correct for Orchiata bark.

Honest I'm discussing not arguing!

I also, and trying to learn about Orchiata...
I've come to the conclusion though, it will not work for me and my culture. Lesson for me..stick with what you know will grow your paphs :wink:

I value your conclusion. That is why I comment and want to discuss the "why".

Why does it work great in one environment and not in another?

It doesn't work for us either, Gilda, so you're not alone. Tried various fertilizers, both nitrate based and urea based, and had problems similar to yours i.e. roots did not migrate into the bark. We had eight different Paph. species/hybrid compots and a year after deflasking and potting into community pots, there were no roots except for the roots present when deflasked. Similar issue with Phrag. besseae fma flavum and fischeri. Not sure why it seems to work for some growers and not others, but under our growing conditions, a fir bark based mix resulted in better root growth.

Latest posts

Back