Orchiata and Water/fertilizer

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have always used RO water adding only the feed I want in the mix. No problems with breakdown of the bark. I always "pot on" so as not to disturb the roots with no problems.

Gary
UK

I have read here i think that ammonia based is recommended...that is what i use with my current fir bark mix but i am switching to orchiata this year...plan to continue with the ammonia/urea...

I have read here i think that ammonia based is recommended...that is what i use with my current fir bark mix but i am switching to orchiata this year...plan to continue with the ammonia/urea...

Let me know how it goes for you. i am happy with it for the most part. But there are plants that still prefer the fir bark mix.

Does anyone know what the pH of orchiata is after it has been used for a period of time? Like half way through it's life span and then again shortly before it is worn out?

The linked recommendations from Besgrow favor using ammonia nitrogen and the implied reason is to lower the pH of the media. That is necessary to offset the amount of calcium they add to the bark. Over time as the Calcium leaches out the ammonia fertilizer could cause a pH crash.

Ammonia toxicity can be an unseen growth inhibitor.

Justin,
Why are you switching to Orchiata?

I have used fir bark forever and get great results but am thinking the orchiata will last longer. We did a big group order in our OS so i figured i would give it a try.

Does anyone know what the pH of orchiata is after it has been used for a period of time? Like half way through it's life span and then again shortly before it is worn out?

The linked recommendations from Besgrow favor using ammonia nitrogen and the implied reason is to lower the pH of the media. That is necessary to offset the amount of calcium they add to the bark. Over time as the Calcium leaches out the ammonia fertilizer could cause a pH crash.

Ammonia toxicity can be an unseen growth inhibitor.

Ive had plants in it for over 12 months (though add aragonite for paphs) - how do you want me to test the ph? I could run though RO water or sit in RO water for a while and ph test if that helps?

Ive had plants in it for over 12 months (though add aragonite for paphs) - how do you want me to test the ph? I could run though RO water or sit in RO water for a while and ph test if that helps?

Yes that would help. Try it both ways.
Test fresh bark, have used bark and worn out bark if you can.
Then we can compare the readings and estimate how the bark might change.

Thanks Justin. I will have to hit a meeting next time I'm back in Columbus.

Truthfully has anyone used orchiata for years with consistent dense root growth through the medium?

Latest posts

Back