Opinion...Sorcerer's Apprentice or not

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddybear

Awarded Stud
Reaction score
I just won this phrag on ebay...only bid as a joke and got it cheap but no one bid against me! I have no space for Sorcerer's Apprentice, but I'm not convinced that's what it is. The longest leaf of 30 cm and all the leaves are the same width along the entire length, bing about 1.5 cm wide. The new growth, at the end of a short rhizone, is a little over 2 cm from the larger one. I'm thinking it might be a species or hybrid involving the subgenus Himantopetalum. What do the experienced growers think?

DSCN9045.jpg

Could be a young SA, or one that is made with one of the smaller longifolium varieties like gracile. Very hard to tell when not in flower.

Jon

Though my SA is much larger now (and larger than the photos below), it was once only a bit more than yours is now. Note the thin, spindly growth in between the 2 newer, larger growths. Very similar to the growth on yours. Also note the numerous new plantlets forming on the tuberous-like rhizome. Believe it or not, when i first got this thing, i pulled it out of the pot to find it had no roots at all. Also had none of the baby growths seen here.

sorcerer_plant.jpg

sorcerer_roots.jpg

I got an HCC a few years ago on a Sorcerers Apprentice _because_ it was small. Imagine that... Kind of progressive for judges.

I'd withhold judgment until it blooms.

Latest posts

Back