opinion??šŸ˜²

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gorgeous flower. I heard from Dave it was passed at judging last night. I wonder why??!!
If I had to hazard a guess, I would say symmetry. The petals in particular are reflexed differently with one angled down and the other curving back upwards. The dorsal and the pouch may be slightly askew as well, but that is really nit-picky and could just be the angle of the photo. The color is incredible, for sure!

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say symmetry. The petals in particular are reflexed differently with one angled down and the other curving back upwards. The dorsal and the pouch may be slightly askew as well, but that is really nit-picky and could just be the angle of the photo. The color is incredible, for sure!
A little asymmetrical undulation of the petal edges is allowed and not a fatal flaw. Perhaps the median size did not match up?

Haha no, that judging center knows paphsā€¦ itā€™s an enigma. Iā€™ll see Dave this weekend at Toronto judging as heā€™s visiting his family. So maybe Iā€™ll find out more, unless he adds here.

I agree. That center knows Paphs. But what you see in a catalog or on a screen from an e-mail are two different things. And then you see it on the judging table live. Those live looks can be different still. Inconsistencies can be noticeable.
It seems to be an awardable flower at first glance. But again, from an on line image I think I am seeing both a nice dorsal and pouch but the petals might be a little short so it could throw the form off a bit. With the plant in front of you, short petals can be noticed.
You would have to know measurements from every plant involved. Both parents and those from previous awards to the hybrid.

I agree. That center knows Paphs. But what you see in a catalog or on a screen from an e-mail are two different things. And then you see it on the judging table live. Those live looks can be different still. Inconsistencies can be noticeable.
It seems to be an awardable flower at first glance. But again, from an on line image I think I am seeing both a nice dorsal and pouch but the petals might be a little short so it could throw the form off a bit. With the plant in front of you, short petals can be noticed.
You would have to know measurements from every plant involved. Both parents and those from previous awards to the hybrid.
Well said!

Latest posts

Back