Only 5 paphs (so far)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To save some space, at last orchid club meeting, gave away two Paph. Berenice - one blooming, and a slightly smaller unbloomed one. I kept one with 3 fans, and expect some blooms next year.

To save some space, at last orchid club meeting, gave away two Paph. Berenice - one blooming, and a slightly smaller unbloomed one. I kept one with 3 fans, and expect some blooms next year.

If you ever have more plants to give away let me know :) I need to grow my collection. :drool:

If you ever have more plants to give away let me know :) I need to grow my collection. :drool:
Keep in mind that I have no idea how to send one in the mail. My guess would be 2nd day air or something like that, but how would one package it? I could always ask other growers/sellers, but my collection is rather small still. The only reason I had extras in the first place was when I bought from a wholesaler that would not sell less than 15 plants at a time. He only had 3 that I was actually interested in. So I selected 5 multi's that had characteristics I liked, and said to send 3 of each. He topped if off with a Paph. Landmark (sanderianum x glaucophyllum) - I want to see it bloom first before deciding if it is a keeper.

At first, all I really wanted was Paph. parishii, and Paph. dianthum. Seems like a long time ago.

Just acquired 3 new ones: a division of a Paph. Angel Hair - to me this looks like a PEOY with lighter color and rounder / wider shoulders; a division of Paph. Michael Koopowitz; a Paph. lowii.

I don't have the space. Plus, right now I want to fine tune the cultural requirements. If I ever have anything that looks promising, and some of you experienced types want pollen - just ask. Of course you might need to tell me how to keep it viable during mailing. I'm not greedy about things. If anything comes of it that looks promising, (and I ain't dead yet) a keiki might be nice, but I won't make a fuss either way.

note - I just checked on the 'chids, and the Paph. parishii looks to be putting up 2 spikes, and the Paph. dianthum might be also. The dianthum growth is really too small to tell for sure at this point, and I am somewhat lacking experience in knowing what to look for. I wasn't sure about the parishii at first because the growth is mostly green, rather flat and fan-shaped. It is not at all like the other multi's I've had bloom thus far. After checking the web to see some other grower's photos, it is definitely a spike.

I can't take the credit for any blooms because I haven't had them that long.

I just added a Maudiae type. It was in a Home Depot, and had a bud on top, but someone had bent the stem to the point it was crimped, and will probably not open. It had amazing mottled leaves. I showed the bent stem to the cashier and asked if they could discount it since the bud will probably die and they won't be able to sell it then. She gave me half off. The tag said (Paph. Supersuk 'Eureka' AM/AOS x Paph. Raisin Pie 'Hsinying') x Sib. After some research it seems to be a sib cross of Paph. Hsinying Alien. Some are lighter, some are darker. Even without the bloom, the leaves are quite eye catching. Seems to be a rather common paph. I will re-pot right away since it is in sphagnum moss. That will keep in the moisture, but not too rich in nutrients, eh?

On Oahu, there are two orchid show the same weekend in March (Windward and Kunia). You should definitely come. Not too many people sell slippers at the Kunia show, but there is usually a few at the Windward show (which are usually brought in from the Hilo area). Anyway, you should think about attending some orchid society meeting. Last month I gave away 54 phrag. seedlings at the Honolulu Orchid Society meeting. Lol.

I asked them about the simultaneous meetings. Seems that they are held in local schools, and that is when they are on break, and since both break at the same time, both shows are at the same time; no intent to compete, just coincidence. Central Oahu is at Lelehua HS in Wahiawa; Windward is King Intermediate in Kaneohe.

Dates/times Friday, 20 Mar, 9-5; Sat, 21 Mar 9-5; Sun 22 Mar 9-4.

Kate, are you in a club on Oahu?

They are simultaneous shows; regular (monthly) meetings are held at various times.
Yes, my main club is the Honolulu Orchid Society, but I also belong to the Aiea Orchid Club, the Kaimuki Orchid Society, and when I can, Na Okika O Hawaii, the orchid species club.

Mossy, what part of the island do you live on?

Back