One really unhappy phrag

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also think that you had over-reacted. The leaves you cut will die, they have no other choice. the yellow leaves in the photos are mostly at a previously bloomed growth; also expended. Any other stalled or dead leaves can be pulled off. BTW, 90F+ and 12% humidity is not a good thing for any length of time. :eek:

Yep, I agree! (Overreacted, and temps) :0
*Sorry about the overreacting!*
I do have a tendency to be a lengthy writer, maybe sometimes exaggerate ;) and I definitely can be dramatic in my writing, a gift, and a curse.

I am making a cover for the shelving area, like what I have for the smaller orchid setup. It's almost done though :) I think the heat issue will resolve once I can keep the door open, and not have to worry about my pets. After watching the temps close by the window, it stays: 63 lowest, day average around 73-80, and max 91. The humidity: 16-25.

I am still watching to make sure there's no quick changes. I'm not very worried anymore :) --I'll try to note anything in a more relaxed way.--
You guys are right about the leaves yellowing that are older. There is one new growth that is yellowing at the tip of the leaves though. I'll add a couple photos when I get on the computer. I know that phrags like pure water, so I've flushed the pot out a couple times with bottled water. I haven't gotten to repotting him yet.

On an unrelated note, I have a new paph that is now in bloom :D it's a delenatii that I've been eyeing ever since my first greenhouse visit; $15 in bud. I got him and the phrag at the same time. If you guys would like to see pictures of the delenatii, I can post some of him too.

View from below.

Yellowing growth, the camera didn't capture the yellow as well as the orange.

Here's my Paph. delenatii that I got in bud. :D The foliage is bluish on top, and very dark on the bottom.

Nice delenatii var. vinicolor! Excellent purchase.

The growth on the right is toast. The one on the left looks fine. The yellowish leaf just looks old to me.

Did this plant get frozen at some point?

I don't think so. At least not while I've had it. :( Any place I've had it has been over 60°F. The symptoms of the wet patches showed up while I had it in the room that ranges from 63-90. Since I didn't know what was going on, I quickly moved him away from the other plants into the kitchen. I always watched the temps by him. The patches stopped appearing when I placed him in the kitchen. The yellowing also appeared before I moved him into the kitchen, and the yellowing has slowed down since moving to the kitchen. (The kitchen stays between 60-70.) I had the therm. Placed a couple inches away from the plant.

A couple days ago I moved him into my bathroom before the temps dropped to -1°F through -22°F with the windchill. I don't know if the problem would have been worse if I left him in the kitchen, but the patio door lets in some cool air (dog needs out frequently).
** my bathroom stays around 68-73.

You're going to lose the little brown leaf. The new growth on the left looks like it has cellular damage on the second from the top leaf. :eek: Good luck.

Thanks for the reply.
It wouldn't surprise me if I lose the growth on the right. It's kind of scrunched at the base, and the inner most leaf is orange with some white "dust". The leaf in between the outter yellow leaf and the innermost one is still green. There's also two smaller growths that you can't see from the photo; one of them is right behind the yellowing one.
Could any type of pest be causing the cellular damage? There's quite a few areas of cellular damage.

From what I've read, I believe the yellowing and orange areas with white film could be fungal, but I don't want to jump to conclusions on anything.

Thanks again!

I finally repotted! The tag reads Phrag. Schlimii 'Pink Ice' JC/AOS x wallisii 'Tower Grove' HCC/AOS
This phrag has the BEST roots out of all the phrags I have.. not just because it has the most growths either. :D Also, The only rotten roots I saw were on a dead/dying growth. I'm happy I repotted when I did.. I found an earthworm in the pot... I assume the mix was pretty broken down.
I know that the pot looks pretty big, but I think it'll be okay. I decided to go up in size to give the new growths room (and their roots rooms.) I used around 50/50 LECA and Paph. and Phrag Mix from repotme.com. I also added in a little sphag; I used more sphag closer to the top. The classic repotme mix includes: sm. coconut husk chips, small and medium lava rock, perlite, small stalite, coir, small granite chips. http://www.repotme.com/orchid-mix/Paph-Phrag-Orchid-Mix.html

Anyways, I decided to cut off some of the older leaves... I found some crud in them. It looks like there was a previous infection, and the older leaves were just holding some yucky, old infected tissue. Other than what has been posted already, some new spots with yellow halos are showing up on another leaf. I'm not going to try cutting it off unless the spot grow in size.. or a trusted member suggests it ;)

*The roots are nice and healthy, so I'm not overly concerned. I'll keep an eye on him; I'm not sure what will happen with some of the new growths. As long as the foliage isn't infected, I think this phrag is healthy! :D:D

So here it is, the leaf, and the plant in the new pot. :) *I'm showing multiple views so there won't be any confusion on the appearance.

I guess the photo didn't capture the yellow halo as well as I was hoping.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I solved one issue! :D
Some of those spots that I was initially worried about *when I started this thread* disappeared! Some of them has disappeared completely, but some of the ones that were there the longest are barely noticeable. Some of them are still fading away! :clap:

I did a google search when I noticed they were disappearing, and this thread came up: http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31935

Over-hydration!!!
The old mix was soggy (probably way too soggy for being 50% wallisii.) Once I repotted this phrag, it now has enough moisture, but also enough air. At least this is my theory. :) .. So this phrag probably will enjoy being watered every day, or every other day, but it does not appreciate sitting in water for too long.

I don't know if the brown/red spots with yellow halos are connected to the same issue, but I'm happy I figured out one thing! I also figured this info could be helpful for anyone else who has a similar issue. (Particularly with a long petaled phrag and their hybrids)
Now I'm wondering if wallisii was the pod or pollen parent. ;)

Latest posts

Back