one more Phrag primary

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron-NY

Reaction score
let see if this will be as easy
PDR_0034_edited.jpg

This one is a little tougher.

boisarianum x lindllianum?

The frills on he petals make me think the parent isn't longifolium

Kyle

Which one is correct?

Is it:

Boisarianum/reticulatum/cwerkovanum (sp?) x lindlianum/kaiatorum/sargentianum?

Kyle

bois x klotz?

Or bois x pearcii.

I'm having trouble figuring out where it gets the color from.

Kyle

Every guess I've made has included bois as a parent.

Ron, I'm stumped. Tell me what it is so I can get some work done today!

Kyle

That must be it. I did mention longifolium.

I think i had a mental block. Personally, I don't understand why people make hybrids between two closely related species. As a hybridizer, what did they hope to accomplish with this hybrid?

Or wallisii x caudatum. Or besseae x dalessandroi.

Kyle

Ron-NY said:
:clap:that is it!! Kyle you did mention it in your first post but then second guessed yourself
Yeah, I feel bad for that one. I pretty much just drafted off Kyle and then passed him at the finish line.

Kyle said:
Personally, I don't understand why people make hybrids between two closely related species. As a hybridizer, what did they hope to accomplish with this hybrid?
Or besseae x dalessandroi.

Kyle
Actually, the Jersey [of course if it really is besseae x dalessandroi!?!] is different and will add colors to its hybrids!:)

But no different then if you were to use a pure besseae or dalessandroi to make hte hybrid. But it does create the opportunity for hybrids to be confused for species. From a conservation point of view, its bad.

It seems to me to be alot of time and effort for a grower to go from setting seed to get a blooming plant just to have it turn out like as they do. It take just as much effort to raise a good hybrid as it does a crappy one.

Hybridizers should set goals.

I don't see any goals being met when besseae and dalessandroi are crossed (or wallissii and caudatum or bois and longifolium)

To quote lien luu: Don't you all start yelling at me...

Latest posts

Back