One kovachii hybrid- who would it be?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meagan Myers

Reaction score
I have very, very, very limited space. I'm about to pull the trigger on my first and probably only phrag. Peruflora Spirit.
Before I do, is there another kovachii hybrid I should consider? It seems the Spirit is a good robust plant and produces huge longer lasting blooms?

I think the prettiest is Fritz Schomburg (kovachii x besseae). It is a bit smaller plant but probably not quite as robust as Peruflora Spirit. If I could only have one though it would be a Schomburg.

You can get good Fritz Schomburgs for less. A real concern is how much room you have. All gen 1 Pk hybrids grow to large plants. There are 2nd and 3rd generation crosses with good shape and color but on smaller plants. Phrag. Apollo for instance.

might even want to consider Eumelia Arias. blooms quickly from seedlings, grows like a weed, kovachii kind of shape, nice color variants, very compact for the size of the flower.

Well. I am second-guessing getting a phrag. Again. :( Essentially I have a rule in the house if you need water more than once a week you ain't going to get it. I adjust medium size according to plant and pot size to have everybody roughly getting watered once a week.:oops: I'm not sure how possible this is for phrags.

Perfectly possible for Phrags depending on the
humidity in the grow area and the potting medium
you use. If this is your first orchid, you might
consider something easier for a first orchid.
Phrags can be a bit exacting on requirements.

Megan, it all depends on what your local weather conditions are like. If like me you live in a wet island surrounded by sea with the Gulf Stream bringing more heat then phrags are dead easy.
They like even mild conditions as they have lots of leaves and no pseudo bulbs for back up if things get rough.
This is why I can grow them indoors. The day night temperature range on any given day is about 10 degrees F.
You just put them on a windowsill and leave them be. Water them about once a week and sit them in a bit of water. They just grow and quite quickly,
David

Well. I am second-guessing getting a phrag. Again. :( Essentially I have a rule in the house if you need water more than once a week you ain't going to get it. I adjust medium size according to plant and pot size to have everybody roughly getting watered once a week.:oops: I'm not sure how possible this is for phrags.
I grow my phrags in 55% rockwool (small Grodan grow cubes ¼“-½ “, 35% spongerock or small Growstone and 10% charcoal in clear plastic. I run 45-55% humidity, 84 high in summer and 72 in winter. I water them once a week when the top ½-¾” inch is dry depending on size of pot. Any more frequently and mine rot. I live in Northern VA and grow indoors under LEDs.

This isn't my first slipper, just the first phrag. Thanks all. Seems I can manage once a week watering. However, I don't have RO water, so that's another issue.

Latest posts

Back