Oncidopsis Nelly Isler

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mutant

Reaction score
I was waffling about whether or not to buy this one. I've always loved the flowers but never felt confident enough to try and grow one. Also not a big fan of the plant itself out of bloom, but I decided to try something new and it followed me home from the garden center a couple of days ago.

I've placed it next to the humidifier so it hopefully won't blast the buds and so far so good. It opened the first flower today and I'm very happy with it. I really hope I won't kill it, but I'm not counting on it. They seem a bit finicky. 😅

1651589593272.png

Should be an easy grower intermediate condtions as long as you keep the medium moist.
"Should" be, yes. 🤣 The thing I'm worried about is the very broken down substrate it's in. This in combination with my tendencies to overwater is a recipe for disaster. I've put a skewer in the pot, so hopefully I'll avoid drowning it until it's done flowering and I can repot it. It should do fine in my kitchen with the temperatures I usually have during the year. I just have to keep the roots a bit cooler now during summer and keep humidity up around it.

Its a beautiful color. (where these Vuylstekearas once?)
It seems like it. They've been x Cambrias, x Burrageara and the name you mentioned that I hadn't heard before. And now they're Oncidopsis. Who knows what it'll be in 10 years. 😆

Back