Oncidium question: leaf curl

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The whole stand is enclosed

There you go...it's not a room. Just like open toilets don't add humidity to a bathroom. Humidity trays may make someone feel like a better mom, similar to misting plants. But a humidifier is a much better source of adding humidity to a room.

There you go...it's not a room.

Ouch1:poke: but maybe it would be a way for her to go. They do not cost much (let me qualify that) if you build it yourself or start with some cheep shelving. It might be less costly then trying to humidify the whole space and it could advert the health issue.

Thanks for the advice. Both are very good suggestions. I think I will have to just ask my doctor about the humidifier and if he says no then go with the idea of making a mini green house indoors! :) Getting big ideas already! :) You guys are so helpful!

Bluefirepegasus

P.S. How do you guys feel about compressed clay for media? I have some oncidiums in it and I am not sure whether they should stay in it.

Oncidium-type plants are really tough. If your plants have been neglected for years, it's probably a good idea to take them out of their pots, remove anything that's dead or rotten, and repot into the smallest possible pot. Everybody has their own favorite medium. I use a mixture of small bark, perlite and charcoal. You can also use a mix of sphag and perlite, you just have to make sure that you wait until the medium is dried out before watering again. Humidity trays don't do very much except a few inches from the tray. If you have very dry air, a small room humidifier as suggested by Slipperfan would be much more effective. You can get one at any box store. The frustrating thing is that you probably won't see much improvement until the plants put out new growth. Good luck!

.. How do you guys feel about compressed clay for media? I have some oncidiums in it and I am not sure whether they should stay in it.
There are quite a few that grow in hydroton, saves on repotting as well! If it's working for the plant, leave it alone!

Well, I've finally read enough. Your plants could have been suffering from overwatering or underwatering; you have to check. If they're in s/h media, I don't care what anyone says, it holds salts so it must be flushed. and on the subject of humidity trays, of course they add humidity because the water that evaporates out of them is added humidity that wouldn't be there w/out the trays. Of course a toilet adds humidity but there are more attractive ways to do it.

The fact that humidity trays do evaporate water, doesn't mean they raise the humidity in a room to an extent that it's a benefit for plants. And I'd suggest you actually grow in s/h before giving advice about it.:rolleyes:

Edit: Do this test. Take your humidity meter and go into your bathroom open the lid, look at your meter, close the lid look at your meter. Heck wait a couple of hours after closing the lid. See what I mean?

Actually the humidity added from the humidity tray has more to do w/ the surface area of the tray relative to the depth of the water, than the room. A toilet doesn't have the same evaporative surface. Although if you removed the toilet from your house you'd probably see a decrease in the direct and relative humidity. P.S. if the water in your trays evaporates in a few hours, move out of the desert.

Here's a snippet of a humidity tray experiment done with bonsai over humidity trays vs. not...

"I did an experiment by placing two digital hygrometers (measure relative humidity) in the canopies of two bonsai trees that were under 12 inches tall. In the middle of the MI heating season, the before/after change in humidity when they were placed over humidity trays was only .4% (4/10 of 1%), which is a minuscule difference."

They're great marketing devices, though. Mind you, this is for grow rooms, windowsills etc. Enclosed, orchidarium type set-ups with humidity trays would be more effective.

But they do have a value -- you can set your plants on them and water them there. The water goes through the medium and into the trays. To me, watering this way is much easier that taking the plants to a sink, or bucket, or...

I wonder, did the experiment say how big the tray was???

I'm sure just the typical size that's standard.

But you're right they definately work perfect as you stated. Have you seen the ones that Charley's carries that have a nifty built in tube that you can can water your plants in place and then drain out the excess? Then when you don't need it, it looks like the tube slides back in and is hidden. Pretty cool.

Here's a link http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/i...4&s=humidity table&cid1=-99&cid2=-99&cid3=-99

i am thinking that the cause of the curl was definately underwatering. I talked to the guy i got the plants from and he said he only watered once a week. i think that is too little for most orchids. So far, I have seen some new growth and they are coming up not curled. I am happy about that.

For soil, I finally got rid of the clay. There were all kinds of icky things in it so I just repotted in bark with perlite and charcoal. Easier to pick up too.

And for humidity....I think I am leaning towards a humidifier when I can afford it. I am greatful for everyone's advice. You guys have really helped me think about the problems I face growing inside a house. Not easy! :)

Bluefirepegasus

NY Eric what do you like most about growing in hydro? And do you mean like in hydro pots---the special pots with the two holes on the side that keep the orchid moist? If so, I tried it and there is only one plant i like to grow in it. Everything else just stayed too wet and I wasn't even watering that much.

Bluefirepegasus

Look into the growing area megathread, you will see peoples areas. I grow my phrags in trays of circulating water. I'm going to try disas next if Gore Orchid has any left.

Latest posts

Back