Onc. carthagenense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlefrog

Hop-meister
Reaction score
I guess Braem has split this off into Lophiaris carthagenesis. It is basically your typical 'mule ear' oncidium. Long spike with 'spikelets' of little flowers all along it. Nice color for this species, I think.

Onc_carthagenense.jpg

WOW! I love this flower, my friend gave me one down in Costa Rica, I traded him for a few pleuro species. It flowered once for us and then we brought it to my mother in laws house and she killed it....Oh well. Very nice color though!

First time bloom for me, I think I've had the plant at least 5 years. Slow grower, or I just don't know what I'm doing...

Rob, down there we grew it at about 900 meters in the Guanacaste Province, which has a dry season from about November 15th till May. It was mounted on a branch. It got heavy rains from June to October, with September/October being the heaviest. In the dry season there were nights when it would mist pretty much all night long because of heavy winds bringing down rain from higher up in the mountains. We were about half way up the Rincon de la Vieja Volcano. I can't really tell you too much about the temps, but in the rainy season it maybe got up to 80-85 during the day and probably 65 70 at night. It was a little warmer during the day in the dry season and the nights may have been a little cooler, but sometimes the wind was blowing so hard that it actually got kind of cold...I couldn't go into the forest without a long sleeve shirt (I worked at Buena Vista Lodge). Hope this might help...now how about one of those Restrepias ;)

Hmm... I'm not sure, but I really should collect some pollen! I have a cute 'mini mule-ear' cross called Totosauri which have really neat colors, they might go well with the Onc. carthagenese if nothing else.

It wouldn't be a mini anymore though....How big is the hybrid plant compared to that one?

Actually my carthagenese plant itself isn't all that big. The spike is long, but leaves are a little over a foot. Might get bigger if I grew it right. Totosauri is only miniature compared to mule-ears. It blooms nice in a 2" pot, but gets to 8-10".

Don't have any Totosauri in bloom now anyway...

Oh yeah, because thats probably how big mine was. I thought you were talking about a 3-5 inch leaf or something...

Latest posts

Back