On aging

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Tom for the recommendations. I think I have a volunteer who lives reasonably close who will take
them and he may do whatever he wishes with them. Possibly distribute them on ST. That will make me
very happy! Who on ST isn't happy with a free orchid????

Just as an aside, is anyone here old enough to remember E.
Power Biggs concert in St. Patrick's Cathedral on that
magnificent organ??? Mostly Bach and mostly Baroque.
ASTOUNDING!

It occured to me that I've been growing orchids now for about 50 years (specializing in Paphs) and am starting to think about what is going to happen to them when I no longer can. It's always been my hobby, not my wifes although she appreciates them. I wouldn't expect her to care for them if I was unable to. Are there any members here that are facing or have faced the same situation and what did you do about it?
I have some what of an answer for your situation. Please look to organizations like the technical college that I work for. I was hired as a full time instructor of Landscape Horticulture at Gateway Technical College in Kenosha Wi. Because I also teach Greenhouse crops I have begun to teach Orchid culture and propagation. We are desperate for collections like yours. We are fortunate to have 6 fully equipped and funded greenhouses run 365 days a year run by 4 Horticulturists and a good number of students who more than just interested in learning the care of your plants. We literally have fewer that 10 mature blooming size plants. We have the facilities to teach flasking but no plants to breed with.
Recently a Wisconsin breeder donated some flasks to us for our classes. I can not overstate how amazing this has been for our program. I already have two students who are now very talented at deflasking and compot planting. I am also able to show the growth differences in growing media.
Please pass the word around. We are looking to acquire Collections of any size and are at the very least able to give you a tax deduction. We also have the funds to pay for the shipping or come and pick up the collection if you are located in the upper Midwest.
My students are the future of the orchid community that I hear so many people on this forum wondering about.

That situation occurs to me often. I've considered several options and none of them seem likely
to take the whole collection so far. I have approximately 135 plants and one large lime tree. It
seems that nobody really wants them as a group.
Please consider donating your collection to our Orchid program at Gateway Technical College Horticulture Department. At the very least we can give you a tax deduction and will pay for shipping if we are unable to pick it up ourselves. [email protected]

I was going to 'like' your post as a similar thought popped into my head too Ray but it didn't seem right! And I couldn't think of the words as clearly as you to articulate it; I would have gone for sorrowful.

So, from experience, if you have made a plan with a friend for an orchid rescue in the event of unforeseen circumstances make sure your next of kin know about and you have passed on the contact details of the rescuer to them. I would suggest making a laminated sign with the details and sticking it up in plain sight by your plants. It would seem Angela never told her daughters about the plan.

I would suggest making a laminated sign with the details and sticking it up in plain sight by your plants. It would seem Angela never told her daughters about the plan.
That is a bit too much, don't you agree? I do sense a little bit of your anger here because you didn't get what you wanted....It happened so suddenly and I am sure Angela didn't expect she would leave this world so soon...Please give the family some privacy for now.
If later you still think you should inherit her plants, send her daughters an email (or even a letter) attached to all the communications you had with Angela. Meanwhile, you can only hope the daughters will take care of the plants...if the daughters want to have the plants, it would be the best for the family anyway.
Just my opinion.

Tom, Angela instructed me to distribute her plants her and in clubs for free or cost of shipping. I would inherit nothing but a duty to honor her wishes.

I am glad I dont have to drive 3 hours to pack up a green house, drive 3 hours back, and spend my time packing plants to mail to people.

You have read too much into my post and missed the important point: if you have a plan make sure the next of kin know about.

I was upset that I had failed to honor her request to me.

Tyrone, per Angela's wish, you keep those plants that you want and distribute the rest to others... That is how I read it based on what you posted on the other thread.
I do get your point here, however, in this case, maybe I overreacted to your post, but how you put it just seems a bit too much. You blamed on the deceased for not telling the family right away.

Last edited:
Tom, its fine. You havent seen my growing space so you dont know that there is no more space for something new unless something doesn't survive. I couldn't keep anything.

I am not upset with Angela and never was when I wrote that -- but I understand my direct writing style does lend itself to being misinterpreted as such, so sorry. This was general warning to others not to put off making arrangements. We are not guaranteed tomorrow.

Keep well

Tom, its fine. You havent seen my growing space so you dont know that there is no more space for something new unless something doesn't survive. I couldn't keep anything.

I am not upset with Angela and never was when I wrote that -- but I understand my direct writing style does lend itself to being misinterpreted as such, so sorry. This was general warning to others not to put off making arrangements. We are not guaranteed tomorrow.

Keep well
I have him blocked for a reason.

Chad, don't hind. I know you can see me as I can see you if I want to...LOL!

Latest posts

Back