Older and (hopefully) wiser

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtwist

Crownrot Prince
Reaction score
Hi all from the UK. New to the group (but been benefitting from the wealth of info here for a while! :)

Really got into orchids as a teenager many years ago but a combination of negligence and wishful thinking led to more failures than successes with a variety of types. Now I'm older, working from home and just had a nice airy extension built on the back of the house (SW aspect) thought it would be the perfect time to give it another go and hopefully be more attentive.

Funny how your tastes change as you get older. I had a few Paphs when younger, but was generally more interested in other things, but now I can't get enough of the multiflorals!

Here's what I've set myself up with for starters :-
Hung Sheng Eagle (gigantifolium x rothschildianum)
Memoria Joan Levy (gigantifolium x stonei)
Lady Isabel (stonei x rothschildianum)
Phillippinense var.roebellini
Chui Hua Dancer (gigantifolium x sanderianum) - on the way!
All are single growth young plants apart from the last two that are NFS. As you can tell, I'm hooked on anything with stonei or gig in the parentage - just love the more primitive look of them.

I'm hoping the new room will prove a good growing space - being attached to the kitchen, so far its natural humidity rarely dips below 50% and is often near 70. I'm using a couple of troughs as humidity trays,raising the pots off the pellets of course with some cut to size plastic grilles. During the sunnier days I'm putting the troughs outside on an old metal shop display shelving unit (see photo) which is handily on wheels, so I can move it easily in and out of the sun as appropriate. Generally at night I'm leaving them outside if predicted dry for the cooler night temps and back inside if rainy.

I was a little worried that the plants might dislike the day to day movement, but after only having them a few weeks they seem to all be showing good root and leaf growth. Only the Lady Is is looking a bit static, but that is the smallest of them.

Looking forward to learning a lot more about successfully keeping these great plants. Perhaps I might even have some of my own flower pics to show in a few years!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 38
Welcome from west coast, you have good choice of paphs, the good thing about your new grow area, you will be able to moniter it closely, it won't be long before you have it all set, congrats!!!

Welcome from west coast, you have good choice of paphs, the good thing about your new grow area, you will be able to moniter it closely, it won't be long before you have it all set, congrats!!!

Thanks Troy. Yes, my aim is to pamper the hanful I have. I dont have the space for many - esp. Knowing how big the gigs can get!

Welcome to Slippertalk! You have good taste in Paphs. What other genera do you grow?

Thanks dot.

Only a few mongrel phals at the moment. Had some other things before - oncidium/odonts, pleurothallis, masdevalia alongside some paphs and phals. A nice long petaled phrag is def on the wish list, but I'm working up to that!
And you?

Welcome from Ontario, Canada! You seem to have a really great start going on. Having your grow area so close to your kitchen not only makes it easier to care for the plants; but, it makes it easier to steal a moment now and then to enjoy them. Nice selection of hybrids as well! 'Looking forward to photos of these in bloom one day.

Welcome to you from Lancashire. Great choice of multis --- they are also my passion especially the Hung Sheng eagle,

Ed

Thanks everyone for the nice comments - I feel right at home already.

Ed - I know who to turn to if in need some tips! Took a look back at your HSeagle pics - fantastic! I just hope mine turns out as nice down the line.
Cheers,
Chris

Thanks dot.

Only a few mongrel phals at the moment. Had some other things before - oncidium/odonts, pleurothallis, masdevalia alongside some paphs and phals. A nice long petaled phrag is def on the wish list, but I'm working up to that!
And you?

Probably too many! I have about 800 or so orchids in many different genera. If you want to be completely bored, I have a thread about building my greenhouse, and there are lots of photos of plants in it. Here are a couple:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17927&page=43
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17927&page=45

Probably too many! I have about 800 or so orchids in many different genera. If you want to be completely bored, I have a thread about building my greenhouse, and there are lots of photos of plants in it. Here are a couple:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17927&page=43
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17927&page=45

Wow Dot!
What a fantastic record. My mouth was watering looking at your greenhouse coming together, and what a fabulous looking collection at the end. If I ever win the lottery I'll be following your blueprint :)
Ps. Never bored of orchids:drool:

Wow Dot!
What a fantastic record. My mouth was watering looking at your greenhouse coming together, and what a fabulous looking collection at the end. If I ever win the lottery I'll be following your blueprint :)
Ps. Never bored of orchids:drool:

Thanks! Your time will come -- I waited 10s of years before I could afford this Greenhouse. I love every minute in it.

Latest posts

Back