Old wive's tale??

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

L I Jane

Years ago, I remember hearing that paphs had to have at least 3-4 sets of leaves established before they bloom. Does this hold true or is it an old wive's'
tale? I've often wondered as I'm actually not sure if a plant is BS or not when I look at it.Any comments ???:confused:

Okie, I see now...

Paph. helenae, Paph. henryanum, Paph. tranlienianum, and some others I can't think of now only need 5 leaves until bloom (2.5 sets)...

-Pat

It depends on the species. In general a plant will need at least 4-6 full-size leaves to bloom. For the multiflorals it's more like 5-8 and the barbata types 3-5.

--Stephen

I just remembered... my Paph. hookerae var. volonteanum from Matt Gore has only 3 leaves to bloom... that's 1.5 sets... =)

-Pat

Mahon said:
Okie, I see now...

Paph. helenae, Paph. henryanum, Paph. tranlienianum, and some others I can't think of now only need 5 leaves until bloom (2.5 sets)...

-Pat

I've seen these three and barbigerum often blooming on a total of 3 leaves.

But I prefer to see a new growth to assess maturity. Although it seems like allot of my barbata types put on growths after a blooming rather than preceding it.

It depends...a seedling may not bloom until it has many pairs of leaves. But once it starts to grow offshoots, the situation changes. The Maudiae types will frequently bloom several times a year, on seemingly small and immature growths...this will also happen with species in that group, like sukhakulii. On the other hand, the insigne types need at least 18 months to mature a growth, so there have to be plenty of leaves for them. Take care, Eric

Latest posts

Back