Old school rothschildianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camellkc

Reaction score
An old school roths. The flower count, color and shape is nice but the size of it is doing a dead bowl on its cultural value.

The roths in Taiwan is improving too fast in recent years, that making those old school roths fades out rapidly. Anyway, for sharing please.

Attachments

• 7A4255A4-93D3-41BF-B82E-6E83EB561243.jpeg
    7A4255A4-93D3-41BF-B82E-6E83EB561243.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 116
  • F4C5B56D-87F5-4E2D-8E3A-1A9A4A33C039.jpeg
    F4C5B56D-87F5-4E2D-8E3A-1A9A4A33C039.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 104
Old or new.... this is still quite impressive and majestic.
Do you bloom them in HK without a chill at night to set buds?
Yes, I only grow them in a green house with water cooling system. I give you a picture on my growing environment taken two months before.

But if you have opportunity to see the current top clones in Taiwan, you will definitely know what is really impressive and majestic. LOL

Attachments

• 4567DFA9-9048-4257-BE43-3751BEF0B050.jpeg
    4567DFA9-9048-4257-BE43-3751BEF0B050.jpeg
    340.1 KB · Views: 72
I have seen quite a few in Japan as they bring them over. They are massive with DS as wide as my palm! And dark.
But size is only 10 points LOL.
As far as I know, the biggest DS for Taiwan clone is 8 cm, without flatten it. NS is 35 and petal width is 2.3 cm. Very dark color. That is the size for the plant’s first bloom. Not a mature plant.

Wonderful!
Will the 5th bud still open? Then you have a perfect flower count!

Old or new.... this is still quite impressive and majestic.
Do you bloom them in HK without a chill at night to set buds?
When you say chill at night what temperature would you say is suitable to get them to set buds?

When you say chill at night what temperature would you say is suitable to get them to set buds?
The locality of Mt Kinabalu where it grows at the lower slopes get to 14-16C at nights in the coldest period.

I also know that in Japan they will keep night temps high to prevent blooming. And like Phals, they can lower the temps for 2-4 weeks and expect blooms in 3-4 months from then.

The locality of Mt Kinabalu where it grows at the lower slopes get to 14-16C at nights in the coldest period.

I also know that in Japan they will keep night temps high to prevent blooming. And like Phals, they can lower the temps for 2-4 weeks and expect blooms in 3-4 months from then.

Mt Kinabalu is also the habitat location for Paph. ooii. Although I understand that the altitude they live is higher than roths, I dont know why the cultural difficulity for ooii is much higher than a roths. Only very few cultivators can do this rare species other than Michael Ooi.

Just for your information, my garden can bloom some high altitude species such as Paph. victoria mariae, since it is located in the inland rural area that the diurnal range of temperature is larger than the city area.

Maybe ooii occurs in even higher location (therefore greater diurnal T) and higher light.
I didn't realize VM was from such high elevation in Indonesia. I grow it warm high and it blooms fine.
You have such a wonderful growing area. So much to see, like an adventure!

Latest posts

Back