Old Paph hybrids- what is still around?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn Lyons

Reaction score
I'm a carnivorous plant grower (mainly Nepenthes- tropical pitcher plants) and would like to get into paphs. I collect "old" Nepenthes hybrids, mainly the handful of surviving hybrids from the Victorian era when Veitch&sons nusery was operating, and crosses made in the Japanese hybridizing boom of ~1950-1990 which fell into obscurity once desirable species became available widely available from tissue culture. Like I do with Nepenthes, I'm very interested in preserving older Paph hybrid material, particularly plants that hold major significance in the history of Paph breeding ( x Winston Churchill is a good example).

I can use online resources to look up the crosses that were utilized in paph breeding in the late 1800s- mid 20th century, but I have no idea how many of these plants still survive in collections. I asked some other growers, and they recommended Paph. x Winston Churchill, P. x Hellas 'Westonbirt', and P. x Warrior 'H. Greene's Variety'. I recently saw an excellent P. x Warrior 'H. Greene's Variety' at a slipper orchid conference.

As far as older hybrids go, what other hybrids are still in circulation, and where are they available?

Quite a few actually. The ones you mentioned are some of the more readily available ones as they are vigorous growers and many divisions have been made and shared over the years.
Many major nurseries, especially those with their own breeding programs still own lots of the old classics.
Some of them have closed or sold their businesses, or about to. I'm sure hobbyist have divisions too, but contacting major breeders will be the best bet. They may not be willing to sell, though.

Do you have any names of these particular breeders/nurseries that may have old material? Most of my involvement with the orchid hobby has been with species-focused growers and nurseries, so I know very little of the paph breeders in the USA.

Orchid Zone was among the major breeders of many things, complex hybrids (bulldog) being one of their focus. Alas! They have been out of business for years now. Someone took his stud plants and some people on this forum might know their whereabouts. I have no clue.

Another major US breeders for complex hybrids is Cash Hadley at Marriot Orchids. I think he's either retired or about to. You might want to look into it. He's in my opinion among the best in the world in his field.

There are other breeders, but not really sure what they have. I know that they aren't into complex hybrids.
You'll have to ask around from people in the know.

Thanks for the info! Its great that the old crosses are still out there. Another I am interested in is P. x Nitens, very old primary cross, but seems a few growers still have it.

Theresa Hill might be a very good resource. She has a lot of the older breeders. I have lots of F. C. Puddle...

I collect the old stuff when I can. Can't go wrong with Clair de Lune 'Edgard von Belle' (or however somebody spells it, I've seen that about a dozen ways but it is the same clone), I know it isn't complex but it is one pretty thing. Maudiae 'The Queen' is perhaps my favorite plant (I have a few available). You'll pay good money for a good Winston Churchill ('Redoubtable' or 'Indomitable"). Remakes are available but those two are really special, getting another one like that from seed would be like winning the lottery. They are expensive because they are _still_ very good stud plants. Breeders hang pods on them rather than selling, usually. I have had both, but I think I only still have 'Indomitable'. It has a pod on it. :)

I have lots of F.C. Puddle, too. :) easy grower. Rosy Dawn is another good grower. Some clones of Jack Tonkin if you want another old white.

Orchid Zone was among the major breeders of many things, complex hybrids (bulldog) being one of their focus. Alas! They have been out of business for years now. Someone took his stud plants and some people on this forum might know their whereabouts. I have no clue.

Another major US breeders for complex hybrids is Cash Hadley at Marriot Orchids. I think he's either retired or about to. You might want to look into it. He's in my opinion among the best in the world in his field.

There are other breeders, but not really sure what they have. I know that they aren't into complex hybrids.
You'll have to ask around from people in the know.
Since you mentioned Orchid Zone, Paphiness seems to have a lot of that stuff. Or did for awhile. I got some species stuff from him but guessing he also would snatch up some quality hybrids.

Are you looking for surviving divisions of the hybrids that were made in the early days of orchid hybridizing? Or are remakes of the early important hybrids fine? The surviving divisions will be significantly more expensive, but they have the history behind them.

Latest posts

Back