Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

Heather

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
Don't listen to Eric, it was a thread that got out of hand so we set up a place where people could go "out back" and argue about it. PW is either drama or *drama* if you feel like reading more sordid tales of the slipper growing world. :wink:

TheLorax

Awardless studette
Reaction score
Oh carry on then ;)

editing to add that most people have been extremely straightforward with me so I was just teasing back. Eric is a big teaser and I know that. Don't worry Heather, if I am being talked about back there it's ok and it's probably already showed up in a pm anyway!

E

Eric Muehlbauer

By the way, Lauren...you get the exact same messages that I get on SOF...............Eric

E

Eric Muehlbauer

Just for the hell of it, I tried posting a response on SOF...and was told that I am no longer allowed to post there. Niiiicce..........I've said it before...why not just ban me outright? I've never been banned from a list before.....................I'm beginning to feel inadequate...............Take care, Eric

TheLorax

Awardless studette
Reaction score
There there there, let me pass you a tissue. Don't be greedy and take more than one though because the box needs to be passed to others, lots of others. May I hold your hand? I'm not exactly going to sit shiva over this loss but maybe we could join hands with others and sing kumbaya or something.

TheLorax

Awardless studette
Reaction score
Oh oh oh oh oh! Wiggling in chair and raising hand to answer your question as to why you weren't banned. Ego my friend, ego. After all... they were the first slipper forum and all. I suspect this is the type of Admin who doesn't want to lose headcount for membership. If he bans you or me or any of the others who have been hobbled, his numbers go down. Bet that's it!

Heather

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Lorax is right on. SOF is VERY member driven. I was in charge of member solicitation and advertising (and paid for it voluntarily) when I was moderator there (before I was banned, and reinstated, and banned, and reinstated, and banned again...and...)

(H<---was an idiot)
At any rate, yeah that has a lot to do with it. Quantity not quality, at least that's how it was when I was there.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention that I got a very nice Christmas card via email tonight from Tom Kalina that said:

"Hi Heather,
All the best for you and the ST members in 2008!

Best Regards,
Tom Kalina/ Fox Valley Orchids, Ltd."

I'm not trying to drag Tom into this, he's a nice guy, and it was a lovely card, but I thought it was rather interesting that he mentioned all of our members here at ST in an x-mas card to me, in light of recent threads here.

TheLorax

Awardless studette
Reaction score
I couldn't help but notice when I went over there that the number of members they had logging on in the past 24 hours was about the same as here yet I thought they showed a membership of several thousand. Question for you, if one were to remove all the Laurens and Erics that have been hobbled then remove all the aliases I'm told Petey posts under and then removed all the aliases I'm told his most faithful followers post under then removed all the aliases created by people who have been axed who created new identities to log back on from different computers... what do you think their membership would be :rollhappy:

editing to add-
(before I was banned, and reinstated, and banned, and reinstated, and banned again...and...)
Did not mean to not share the tissue box with you. Please, allow me to pass you a tissue.

Heather

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I wasn't complaining, Lauren, I was just stating the known. No need for any tissues. Thank you, but no. I'm really no longer interested in this topic, but it keeps coming up with people such as yourself asking about it. I'm happy to provide facts about what happened to people who are just finding out about it, but I've been done with this issue for a long time.

TheLorax

Awardless studette
Reaction score
No, you don't seem like the whiney type.

I'm certainly not in need of a tissue over getting the axe and I doubt seriously if anyone else, yourself included, who admitted to getting axed is in need of a tissue either.

My question was if we could make off topic forums accessibly only to subscribers.

ohio-guy

Reaction score
You make an interesting observation that the other forum seems to pad its membership rolls with some members having multiple ID's, and keeping people on their roll while not allowing them to post.
I know they make claims to be the first, and maybe the largest, but when you look at which site has had the most members on at any given time, we are up by over a hundred....(343 here vs 236 there if I understand the numbers right)

The numbers game gets even more interesting as you see the stats provided...we had almost twice the activity with 5879 threads and 66353 posts to their 3180 threads with 36003 posts. More than half of their posts apparently came from one member, who is the moderator I think.

Perhaps our higher traffic is due to the open nature of the commentary here. Thanks again to the administrators for all the work done behind the scenes to keep this place up and running!

Maybe in the final analysis we are the larger forum...not that it really matters.
As with most who express an opinion here, I just like this place better!

Eric

Last edited:

Heather

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The numbers are ALWAYS going to be skewed on both forums by the spiders from yahoo and google - guests and members are the numbers to look at, which you can do by clicking on who's online (a feature Pete's disabled, by the way, so you couldn't tell over there who was a member, a guest, or a spider, just by looking.)

He's also disabled the ability for anyone with a "free" email service such as aol, yahoo, gmail, hotmail, etc. from being able to register automatically. Something which I have not done because I don't want to be a controlling *****, and I don't have the time to sit around all day approving people manually, but I will tell you, if we did that, it would cut down on the 20 or so bogus spammer registrants we have to delete every day.

TheLorax

Awardless studette
Reaction score
Thank you Heather, the question was answered a while ago and the many reasons surfacing for why everyone wants it to remain open reinforces the no. That's why I never started the poll as you had originally suggested. Someday when this all blows over and it will in a few years, I'd like to revisit the possibility of the off-topics and the collections boards being accessible only to registered members for personal reasons.

ohio-guy, My comments were solely based on what I saw when I went to log on to see if I had been axed or not over at SOF. It's not that I disbelieved anyone who contacted me privately because everyone seemed to be speaking from personal experiences but I was having difficulty believing someone like me, who only wanted to look at their sales area, would get axed based on what I had posted to date. Defied logic from a business standpoint. Why axe a person with money wanting to buy plants from their members? And that was when I remembered the cat forum my personal friend belonged to and all that she told me went on over there. I recall she had to create a new user name and had to register from my computer to be able to get access to a few people she wanted to keep in contact with because her IP address had been blocked when it was discovered she was a traitor and had (gasp) declawed her kitten. Some of the stuff I saw would make your hair curl. All over cats? If it could happen over cats, why not over orchids? I think there must be a lot of proverbially pathetic Peteys out there.

So, I was simply comparing the number of people who had logged in at SOF to the number I had seen logged on to ST in the past 24 hours. Never made it to the activity area where the number of posts and threads was listed but I can't help but get this visual of that Admin sitting there twitching to disable that feature because well... they are the first slipper forum and all. I suspect the highest number logged on (343 here vs 236) reflects insatiable curiosity back when this forum first opened up, everybody had to come and take a look to see who was over here. It's human nature.

For what it's worth, I read a lot of posts over there and over here before I made my decision to join one or the other. I didn't look at stats but overall tone of members and sense of community. I stand by these comments-
To date, I have been treated with propriety and respect by members here. Only one person got snippy with me that I can recall and anyone can have a bad hair day. I've encountered no juvenile little cliques so am free to move from board to board and topic to topic without being treated as an outsider/intruder. My entry level questions have been and continue to be answered openly and honestly and I believe people make sincere efforts to help me out. I appreciate the many thoughtful and informative replies I have received and if I haven't thanked someone, really sorry as I know how long it can take to think through a post before responding and clicking that submit button.
It was the above "tone" that I saw evidenced in the posts that prompted me to choose ST over SOF back last summer. I made the best choice and the existence of threads such as this one do nothing but reinforce my original decision.

Now that I have been axed at SOF, I also stand by these comments-
Should this come to fruition for me based on what I posted here, my non-professional opinion would be the "Powers That Be" over at that site are in serious need of some nice warm Egg Nog laced with Carbamazepine. Possibly seasoned with some Bupropion hydrochloride and Lithium carbonate. Stirred well and made in advance in quantity so they could drink a few a day for the next few months to level out.
It's the holidays. Say a prayer for this Petey man behind the curtain desperately trying to control that which he will never be able to control and call it a day.

Heather

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I suspect the highest number logged on (343 here vs 236) reflects insatiable curiosity back when this forum first opened up, everybody had to come and take a look to see who was over here.
Actually, our highest number logged on (343) was just this last June, spikes come and go but that number has nothing to do with people checking us out because we were new; we weren't at that point.

kentuckiense

Debaser
Reaction score
Someday when this all blows over and it will in a few years, I'd like to revisit the possibility of the off-topics and the collections boards being accessible only to registered members for personal reasons.
Obviously, you're free to revisit the possibility, but I doubt the response will really be much different. I don't feel like there is anything to "blow over," and I feel that statement kind of insinuates that we too are held hostage by Pete's actions.

We don't run this place just to be the antithesis to the SOF. We took the aspects that we didn't like there and changed them for our forum. It is now our formula, not just a knee-jerk reaction just for the sake of being the antithesis to the SOF. Our off-topic area is open for all to view because we want it to be, not because the SOF areas aren't open.

Pete and his ways don't get a minute of my thought during the day. I just don't care what he does. I'm over it, I'm done with it, I help run a forum that I like better. I don't care that some vendors are scared to post here, I don't care that some members are afraid to post here, I just don't care. People make their own choices, so if people want to let some guy the internet dictate where they go to talk about flowers, they are free to.

TheLorax

Awardless studette
Reaction score
I'm really sorry two members I respect are posting that I might be insinuating we're held hostage by SOF because I'm not. This tells me I should have long ago shared my reasoning for asking.

First off, I keep trying to post a link to the outback board and it isn't working. That whole forum doesn't even appear without logging on and then it will appear but it is as if there is nothing in there. The area is password protected. The password was not withheld from me and I doubt seriously if it is withheld from any other registered member. Not that there's anything of consequence in there but it doesn't exist to anyone other than registered members of ST. I can see the very valid reasons for why that area is not visible to search engines and can honestly say I agree with it not being open.

Just as there were reasons other than historic activities for closing off that board, my reasons for asking to close off the off-topics and collections boards and reasons for wanting to revisit that request at some point in time were for other than historic activities.

I pm'd you a link to some of the historic activities that went along with starting Slippertalk. Suffice it to say that the admins here do not get along with the admin there... This is the reason, though, why we tend to try to be as open as possible over here.
My reasons for asking that certain areas be invisible to search engines are personal but certainly not private. I've lost thousands of dollars of plants to theft and must admit I am uncomfortable with commenting about some species of plants because Internet searches can pull them up and route the person to the exact thread here where the species is discussed. If those boards were only open to subscribing members, the search engines couldn't find them. Not that it's full proof, but it is a little bit of a help to those like me who have been hit not once... but twice and are worried. And no, I don't know who did it to me and neither do the other people who got hit. My work-around will be to not mention certain species and to additionally be more careful with what I say about our kids- I posted, I got comfortable with you people, I got faucet mouth, and I posted one thing my husband said I shouldn't have posted which prompted me asking the question. I edited out what concerned my husband because I caught it within the first 24 hours. So please don't think my reasons had anything to do with historic activities regardless of what direction this thread ended up taking and whether other folk at the other forum are reading these threads or not. I could care less if they read what's posted over here and I certainly could now care less whether their sales boards are open or not.

I never thought about why or how this forum came to be when I registered and began participating. Didn't realize there was a history. There may be those out there who chose to register here because they viewed ST as the antithesis to the SOF but I'm not one of them. I literally sat down at the computer and read posts at both forums for several hours before making my decision and believed this forum to be superior. Same thing I did before joining a pond/koi forum.

Here's the reason why I registered at SOF-
XXXXXX
This section is for our sponsor XXXXXX to post updates to their website, photos of their plants, plant availability and any specials, sale listings for forum members only. If you're not a member yet, join now and enjoy all the great deals, discounts and special offers from our sponsors to SOF members only!
With a big PRIVATE after it so when I wanted to read about one lousy sale, I had to register to get access. I've recently learned (thanks to all the enablers here) that I can pick up just about any plant I want, and then some, from all the folk who actively contribute here... and I've been doing just that and have been having the time of my life. I was too ***stupid*** back then to realize they had absolutely nothing over there that we didn't have over here and then some. I got hung up on the "special offers" deal, that's all.

G

goldenrose

It's OK, have some eggnog dear, want to see my hangianum?...:evil:
:rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy: I would have given anything to see Lauren's face when see read that one!!! :clap::clap: