Odontoglossum naevium

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mathias

Reaction score
This is the species Odontoglossum naevium, found in the wild in Colombia and Venezuela. This is a seedling that is flowering for the first time. I was surprised it flowered already because it only has 1 previous bulb of reasonable size. The seedling was bought from a vendor in Germany about a year ago.

From what I have read this plant was rare in cultivation until a few years back (around 2009) when some plants was rediscovered in the wild. Fortunately they were able to produce seeds and nowadays seedlings are readily available, at least in Europe.

I grow this plant in a small mesh pot with sphagnum in my growing cabinet/terrarium. Intermediate temperatures and medium light from fullspectrum tubes and LED-lights. Weak fertilizer (rain mix) and rain water.

35927872884_c848788671_b.jpg

35953425723_3d94cf9f61_b.jpg

Beautiful flowering!
With my experience with Odontoglossum crispum I advice you to cut the flower in a few days because your plant is not enough strong to support a long flowering.

Envoyé de mon Nexus 9 en utilisant Tapatalk

CambriaWhat, I have limited experience with this genus. But from what I have learned, they grow in higher altitudes and need cooler temperatures. And higher humidity. I grow my plant in temps between 17-21 C. A a few degrees lower in winter.

There are so many beautiful plants in this group, but too warm to grow them here.
I've seen some nice specimens in San Francisco years ago. I was so jealous!

I do love this species the flowers are just stunning and it a small plant so fits anywhere.

Latest posts

Back