odd colored Sedenii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron-NY

Reaction score
I recently saw one that was purple. While photographing it a piece fell off and I am rooting it for my collection

Sedenii.jpg

Maybe it is not that uncommon. I just found this: "Description of Phragmipedium Sedenii : Phrag. Sedenii = Phrag. Schlimii X Phrag. Longifolium
Phragmipedium Sedenii was registered by Veitch in 1873, thereby making it one of the oldest Phrag hybrids. Depending on the various color-intensities of the parents that were used, the flowers of Phragmipedium Sedenii are equally different in color. They vary from almost pure white, with a very light pink blush to a very dark purple."

I was wondering if this was used to cross with kovachii if it would bring out the purple. So far all of the hybrids that I have seen have been in the red, pink color range due to besseae. I just sent a note to Alfredo Manrique to see what he thinks.

I don't think that's an unusual color. And it would be fine crossed w/ Pk. BTW, once again I note the "Well I was passing by and a division jumped into my pocket.." line. :poke:

Ron. Are you telling us......'it just fell off'. Did it get a little help?

That is the most beautifully colored one I have ever seen. Will the owner let you take some pollen?

Ron. Are you telling us......'it just fell off'. Did it get a little help?

That is the most beautifully colored one I have ever seen. Will the owner let you take some pollen?

I have to ask for the pollen but I suspect it will be okay. It is usually okay for me to just take pollen for my own use but to send to Peru for a kovachii cross I would not feel comfortable doing without his permission.

It was an accident :p It was sitting behind another plant on the bench. I reached for it ans without realizing that it was a climber, one of the growths, above the medium, got caught on the front plant and came off.....that is my story and I am sticking to it :rollhappy:

Last edited:
It is one of Glen's. He is away so I still have not informed him about the faux pas. If it was a for sale plant...I would already have a blooming one in my collection :)

Latest posts

Back