Oak Variety

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heather,

When I click on the link, it's prompting me for a user name and password. I cannot view the photo.

Best Regards,
Nik

my.php

A leaf photo would be very helpful, but judging from the bark and my Boy Scout background, I'd say it might be a Red Oak. Are the leaf tops pointed or rounded? Medium green or dark green? What size are they? What do the acorns look like?

Edited: I meant to say leaf tips, not tops. Sorry about the misspelling.

A leaf photo would be very helpful, but judging from the bark and my Boy Scout background, I'd say it might be a Red Oak. Are the leaf tops pointed or rounded? Medium green or dark green? What size are they? What do the acorns look like?

Well, that's the problem. A) There are no leaves left on the tree. B) There is 2 feet of snow on the ground and the tree is unreachable.

I will tell Steve, my colleague at work who asked, that you think it could be a red oak. That's what we were guessing too (clearly our hort. staff was out today...)

Thanks for the guesses (and making me laugh!)

My husband is a custom cabinet maker, he claims there is no red in the outside of the bark on red oaks.

can you post pictures of the twigs with the buds on the ends? that's the most reliable way to id oaks in the winter...

I have a red oak growing in front of my house. There is no red in the bark. I have a pin oak right next to it...both have nearly identical leaves, very pointed and deeply incised...but the pin oak has down-swept branches, which is a real pain on a street tree,while the red oak has a more rounded/pyramidal shape. Also my pin oak doesn't drop its leaves...they turn brown, then stay on until new leaf growth pushes them off in the spring. Take care, Eric

The bark says Northern Red Oak to me. The deep furrows and flat-topped "plateaus" are distinctive of this tree. I am unaware of how distinctive the reddish coloring of the bark is to this species and related species.

Where is this tree? Many oaks in residential areas are hybrids and cultivars anyways. So, the variation may take on a slightly different form that what you might find deep in the woods.

Heather I have a winter key, in my library, for tree and shrubs. We could play 20 questions but you need a twig from the tree to start for we would need bud info. To do winter key I need I nee info on buds, branches, bark and acorns

I need to know bud shape, size and color, as to start the key.

Are the buds sharp and pointed or blunt also what is the length of bud ???

I know basically nothing about trees, except how to plant 1200 little ones in one day! :mad: However, I know for sure that there was one w/ exactly that type of bark growing at Vassar. No idea what it is. :p

Latest posts

Back