NZ Sphagnum Moss

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did receive the moss from C&H. It is the good stuff, but it was $35/500 grams + shipping, ouch. I normally buy this in 3 kilo bales. Anyway, I potted up all of the little phrags, so I have at least 6 months to locate a new source or an alternative medium. Mike

This is what I have been doing with the moss. The first two photos are of seedlings coming out of compots and into individual 2 inch pots with moss. The third photo is of seedlings that have been growing in moss for the last 6 months or have tremendous roots right out of compots. These have been put into Orchiata Classic + perlite + granular limestone. The last photo is of compots that will need the same thing done in another six months. All of these are kovachii or kovachii hybrids. I can't wait to see them bloom. Mikemoss 1.jpgmoss 2.jpginto bark.jpgremaining compots.jpg

I saw one (dry brick that I normally purchase) 150g product for $50 shipping included on Amazon. Yikes!!
I guess I will order from C&H.

I just received a shipment from Fred at Sunset Valley Orchids. AAA moss in 3 kilo bales. Bought two bales for $150 each plus shipping. I thought the shipping would be crazy expensive but not too bad considering we went from CA to NY. Total shipping was $51 for both bales. Haven't used it yet but it looks like quality stuff.

Angela, it took about 10 or 11 days to arrive via Fed-ex. That is the shipping company that Fred chose and I'm sure he must be getting special pricing. I also believe (possible incorrectly) that it would have cost more than half that cost if I was only shipping one. They each had there own tracking number but one was the primary. Boxes arrived one of two and two of two.

FedEx uses dimensional weights - exterior volume of box divided by 139 = “dim wt” in pounds, and that’s how the charges are calculated. A 12”x12”x12” box, for example, will ship at the (1728/139=12.43) 13# rate for any weight up to that.

It is doubtful that one box would be more than half the cost of two. The carriers usually don’t offer such discounts until the total shipment exceeds 100#.

Latest posts

Back