NZ Sphagnum Moss

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like some places have the small packages... may have to live with that version of over pricing til the supply chains re bolster themselves (you reminded me that I had depleted my bail about a month ago)

I thought I had purchased a lifetime supply a few years ago and then I found out the phrag seedlings love it. Hausermann shows large bales on their website, but it looks like a very inferior product from China. I did end up buying a small amount from Carter and Holmes, which should last me through July, if I actually receive it. I tried 7-8 other sources and no one had the good stuff.

I suspect we will need to get used to supply chain disruptions like this. I tried to buy new tires for a John Deere Gator a month ago and had a similar experience. Perhaps the first question we will need to be asking in the future is "is this product actually available".

Mike

orchid 527 how much do you need?
If I actually get the order from Carter and Holmes, I may be able to wait out the shortage. I just repotted all of the small phrags and they should good for at least 6 months. I am also investigating grow cubes and grow cube/hydroton combinations to see if it might work, just in case.

Regarding the lifespan of moss in pots, I don't think it is the salt accumulation, but rather the eventual growth of algae that drives the need for repotting. It may be that an occasional misting with algaecide would double the lifespan under my conditions.

Mike

I switched all my phals to sphagnum when I moved to NC. Algae was not a problem at all, but overhead watering caused it to compress, requiring replacement about every 6 months. That’s when I went to Grodan rock wool mini-cubes instead, ow that it has been more than a year with that, I think that 100% cubes may be pushing it, as it is starting to compress a bit, too.

With the phals outdoors in the heat and humidity, they are doing great, but I will be adding LECA to provide more air.

I speculate that straight minicubes in a small pot would be great for seedlings though.

World wide shortage at the moment. Someone told me it has something to do with the NZ moss people selling the land/growing fields. We have to wait for China, Chile, other NZ (?) folk to take up the slack. There's plenty of moss but someone needs to collect it, bag it and sell it.

Good thing I stumbled upon this thread as I was planning on repotting some Neos and such.
I only have half the dry brick from the past and two large ziplock bags of wet ready-to-use sphagnum moss in the fridge.
Please share an update as to a reliable source!

World wide shortage at the moment. Someone told me it has something to do with the NZ moss people selling the land/growing fields. We have to wait for China, Chile, other NZ (?) folk to take up the slack. There's plenty of moss but someone needs to collect it, bag it and sell it.
All moss is not created equal.

Latest posts

Back