November CPs Photo

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eOrchids

Reaction score
Well guys, the season is upon us which means my plants are going to sleep. (If not, they already have). :( Here are some pics before I cut down them to the ground. :_(

137-3782_IMG.jpg

Bog #1

137-3778_IMG.jpg

Bog #2 (These plants won't be cut down because their pitchers are very hardly; almost evergreen like)

137-3779_IMG.jpg

Clumps of VFT

137-3781_IMG.jpg

the back of S. Readii x Moorei "Wilkerson Bog"

137-3776_IMG.jpg

S. Leucophylla 'Titan'

Enjoy! :biggrin:

Marco said:
Great CPs Eric. You read this already but I'll say it again. I love the Wilkerson Bog. Thanks for the photos. :)

No harm done in repost. I appreciate ur comments plus u can rack on post numbers! :rollhappy: :p Anyway I'll try to get more pics of the S. Readi x Moorei ' Wilkerson Bog'.

Marco, obviously your subliminal request for CP's was too subtle...:poke: . I am curious, do you actually see the insects get consumed? There were probably, [hopefully] some of these around in the NJ Great Swamp tour I went on but all I remember was being mosquito bait. These are cool but are they hard to grow/expensive???

NYEric said:
Marco, obviously your subliminal request for CP's was too subtle...:poke: . I am curious, do you actually see the insects get consumed? There were probably, [hopefully] some of these around in the NJ Great Swamp tour I went on but all I remember was being mosquito bait. These are cool but are they hard to grow/expensive???

All the digestion occurs within the walls of the plants...You can't see the plants moving although I would love it if they did! Growing CP depends upon the species u have an eye for but most of them you see here are very easy to grow! There are some diffitcult one but most of them are easy to grow. As same for price. The price varies depending on the species u have an eye for from $7 to $95. But in all, u must have the conditions to grow them in to make ur money worth.

I tried to grow VFTs before and did well except I kept losing them during hibernation. I live in a studio apartment, so don't have a cold attic or garage or basement. I tried leaving them outside on the balcony, buried in the dirt, they died. Tried leaving them inside by the window, they died. Any suggestions? Does the fridge trick work, and if so, what exactly should I do with them? I really live VFTs and get enough sun for them, it's just the wintering that I'm having trouble with.

Heather,
They sure are excellent gnat controllers. I have a P. Primufolia watching over my Paph collection.

johnndc,
When the VFT enter dormancy, make sure the soil is NOT wet; damp is enough. Wet soil and cold weather equals root rot which leads to the death of the plant. I haven't tried the fridge trick work yet (though I might try it this year) even though leaving them in the garage works for me. But as always, be sure to spray the plant(s) with fungicide (suppresses the growth of fungus which is another CP killer). With limited air movement, it's idea for fungus growth.

Hi!! WOW!!! u have such wonderful sarracenias... if only they can grow well in the tropics.. i do have a dionaea, but its small...:( Do you grow nepenthes, eOrchids?(",) hope you don't mind posting a pic or two. I LLOOOOVVVEEE nepenthes. i grow some along with my paphs... their cultivation are rather similar. =)

paphioboy said:
Hi!! WOW!!! u have such wonderful sarracenias... if only they can grow well in the tropics.. i do have a dionaea, but its small...:( Do you grow nepenthes, eOrchids?(",) hope you don't mind posting a pic or two. I LLOOOOVVVEEE nepenthes. i grow some along with my paphs... their cultivation are rather similar. =)

You can thank my Nepenthes for introducing me to orchids. Anyway I'll try to get some pics up. I only have 3 species of Nepenthes so there won't be many pictures, paphioboy. I use to have 10 of them but due to the size I had to sell them away. :(

okie... its fine with me... what types do you grow? I have truncata, ventrata, Mirranda, mixta, ampullaria, and rafflesiana so far... going to search for some more :wink: my Mirranda (Mixta x maxima) grew into a huge vine and flowered twice (its male..) so i cut it down. Now planting cuttings.hehe :clap:

paphioboy said:
okie... its fine with me... what types do you grow? I have truncata, ventrata, Miranda, mixta, ampullaria, and rafflesiana so far... going to search for some more :wink: my Mirranda (Mixta x maxima) grew into a huge vine and flowered twice (its male..) so i cut it down. Now planting cuttings.hehe :clap:

Hey Paphioboy,
I have Truncata (Lowland), Truncata 'Pasian Highland' (Highland), and Lowii. Though I did use to have Ventrata, Miranda, Ventricosa, Veitchii (Highland), Rajah, Sanguinea, and Ampullaria 'Green'. I only grew Miranda for a few months then sent it someone. But N x Miranda does get big esp their pitchers. Also from what I know, N. x Miranda is a male plant and will always be a male plant! Nothing wrong of have a couple of baby Miranda lying around! :)

Nice CPs! Now I really have to get some for the garden. I just need to figure out how to get them to grow in zone 2. Overwintering in my somewhat heated garage??
I have a Nepenthes sanguinea and venus fly trap right now.

I'm overwintering my flytrap in an unheated garage. So far, so good. Well, I'm a few hours away from said garage, but my parents say no rot yet.

I killed the hell out of my Darlingtonia californica, though.

Latest posts

Back