Nova: First Flower

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only seen about half of it so far... But I want one of those Cyp. tibeticum or whatever that purple cyp was. Super sweet...

Did anyone else wonder if the gene sequencuing information is availible for our perusal? The claim was that thousands of plants were evaluated and close relationships were determined .
Wouldn't this be a way to determine what species are closely related, figure what plants will cross potentially....and for example is mexiped.... is it close or distant from the phrags....or which phrag is closest to which paph to attempt a more promising cross species cross.....

Well... I'm afraid it isn't quite the information you are looking for.

Most of the molecular phylogeny analysis looks at only a few regions of a few very well conserved genes. They aren't actually sequencing the entire genome for any of these organisms. Or even sequencing an entire single gene! But, there are a lot of orchids with published sequences for those few genes. So, at NCBI (the National Center for Biotechnology Information), there are 19,500 nucleotide sequence records.

I don't have time to break it down too much, but about 8000 of them are from mRNA sequencing projects (EST sequencing), it looks like that is one project comparing Phal violacea to Phal. equestris flower buds (in Taiwan, of course). There are about 400 sequences for other mRNAs. I'd bet the rest are all sort sequences generated in molecular phylogeny projects.

if you really want to browse...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Taxonomy/Browser/wwwtax.cgi?mode=Info&id=4747

Tivoed Heros and saw the Nova program. It was interesting, the fossils were amazing. Even hubbie enjoyed it.

Latest posts

Back