Not so genuine gratrixianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trithor

Chico (..... the clown)
Reaction score

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have been growing this for a few years now, all the time accepting its label as correct. Labeled as 'gratrixianum', after reading a few threads, I realise that it may be ?affine? (whatever that is):(

From my research, the sameness of both, affine & gratrix' by the flower is is remarkable & impossible to tell apart. Is the base of each fan covered in deep red/maroon spotting??? and are the leaves narrow??

Roy, somewhere in that lettuce crop of leaves are the leaf bases, I think. The leaves are narrow and the bases have a fair amount of maroon markings. This year it has 16 flowe spikes, of which only two are currently open

That's a really good looking flower and big plant Trithor

I'd recognize it as "gratrixianum" wide leaves or not. But if you want to call it afine I'll also know what you are talking about.

I'd recognize it as "gratrixianum" wide leaves or not. But if you want to call it afine I'll also know what you are talking about.

I had the gratrixianum I got awarded a few yrs back (thin leaved),and another clone(thick wide leaves) I had around that were id'd by the S.I.T.F. They called them both gratrixianum so it is what it is.I think the taxonomy confusion just gives people something to argue about,and thats why I pay it no mind.In the 10+ years I have been growing Orchids names have been changed,but my tags have stayed the same.

Thanks all, for the positive comments. This is one of the plants that I have been concerned by the dead leaf tips. It is on the older growths and the newer growths do appear clear. It is potted on a small dustbin as that was all I could find at the time. I thought perhaps that the roots had suffered in the dustbin, but when I tipped it out, it had grown solid with roots.
I will post a new pic when the flowers are nearly all open. It seems that more emerge each day (22 at this mornings count)

Cant wait to see my gratrixianum bloom.. Supposed to have come from the Bolivan plateau area of Laos. Pics of this plant seem so different to what I see posted here and elsewhere.

Brett

OK now I am properly confused! This looks more like exul to me, obviously I have no idea as to what gratrixianum is. Please wont the experts give some advice so that I can correct my labeling. I was about to photograph another 4 clones and post them here in the morning. Perhaps I had better wait to avoid looking too silly?:confused:

I am not expert, so I would like to know more too from people in the know.

The pic I posted was taken at the Bolivan plateau in Laos. Exul comes from around Krabi Island in Thailand, so no were near these. In some ways this reminds me of insigne, but the plant is nothing like that species. I have often wondered are we really confusing different species under the name gratrixianum?

Cant wait to see my gratrixianum bloom.. Supposed to have come from the Bolivan plateau area of Laos. Pics of this plant seem so different to what I see posted here and elsewhere.

Brett

Thats a real nice thing Brett. Looks like 2 seperate clones in that clump too?

Latest posts

Back