Not P. sukhakulii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I’ll correct the label. The flower has only been open a day or two, so it will be interesting to see if the dorsal reflexes.

I can't see anything that stands against callosum, so there is another vote in favour. But of course strictly seen a 100 % sureness by morphology doesen't exist.

Can you be 100% sure that this is a callosum and not a hybrid?

or Maudiae.

To reach a more certain conclusion, it would probably take the trained eyes of an experienced botanist!

I can't see much lawrenceanum in the shape and bearing of the petals, though - and to my amateur eyes I can't find anything speaking against it being callosum.

Even the form of the staminodal shield seems almost to adhere to Braem et al.s description to a tee (although he and his coauthors for reasons of their own, that no one else - neither in science, nor in trade, seems to accecept, designate the species as P. crossii): ""The staminodal shield is rather variable, rounded horseshoe-shaped to nearly quadrangular, distinctly cleft at the top, the lower end with three teeth, the lateral two much longer than the middle one".

As this kind of discussion is both interesting and instructive let's hear the arguments of the prosecution?! ;):D

Last edited:
I thought I would add a pic of my callosum of Laotian origin for comparison (confirmed species).
For the record, Nick, I do think that your plant is a callosum for it has all the attributes (shape, color, staminode).

callosum laos.jpg

Latest posts

Back