Not Cattleya dowiana in bloom

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So after all the anticipation of blooming an iconic species, there was a sense of disappointment when the flowers started to unfurl and it was clear that this vigorous plant was not what it said on the label!
Twas all too good to be true.
However, the disappointment was fairly slight as I seem to have acquired a nice plant of warscewiczii. It has smaller flowers and an earlier flowering time than my sanderiana clone. These types are described by Chadwick in his book.
As the plant was a freebie, I cannot be too downcast.
A vigorous and quick growing clone of this species is still desirable.
5D765A2E-FA83-47BF-A681-EE4B88089424.jpegE6357E58-37B3-421F-99C0-4C3C679FFDAC.jpeg
I guess there is also a chance it’s a dowiana cross, x hardyana.

Last edited:
Lovely flower, even if it isn't what you expected and what was written on the tag. But it's been a freebie and therefore I wouldn't have too high expectations, too.

.............However, the disappointment was fairly slight as I seem to have acquired a nice plant of warscewiczii. ...........I guess there is also a chance it’s a dowiana cross, x hardyana.
Maybe this, maybe that. It depends on you to which name you will decide ?

Oh my! What a disappointment it must have been expecting a vigorous dowiana and getting another species. Were the big buds too pink before opening?

On the other hand, it is quite a beautiful warscewiczii or Hardyana with big bright yellow eyes. And a freebie too.

Was there another dowiana in the same group?

on balance I agree with you guys. It’s a nice warscewiczii. My other tipo warscewiczii will be another six weeks before it blooms so nice to extend the season.
I didn’t realise that this species could be so vigorous so let’s see what another year or two can bring with size and maturity.
David

Sometimes our not fullfilled expectations can stand in the way for a fair appraisal of the unexpected!
I can fully understand your disappointment due to the plant not being C. dowiana, David, but I'm glad to see, that you have already 'reoriented' after the initial crisis (if anyqbody should have forgotten my profession, the latter utterance might provide you with a clue! 😁).
I, too, would consider myself a happy man, if I was in the possesion of a warscewiczii like your wonderful freebie!
Kind regards, Jens

I can feel with David if I think about all disappeared orchid sources in Europe.No popow, no elsner, no meyer, no asian import, no brasil, peruvian or equadorian import.Getting a new plant in good quality is almost impossible in this time in EU.

I can feel with David if I think about all disappeared orchid sources in Europe.No popow, no elsner, no meyer, no asian import, no brasil, peruvian or equadorian import.Getting a new plant in good quality is almost impossible in this time in EU.
I know of two recommendable Catt-vendors (but I'm just a newbie in the Catt-game), Istvan: Hilmar at Asendorfer (especially if you go for his larger plants and divisions) and Strauß Orchideen (whose homepage is up and running again). The latter was recommended by one of our European, though presently not EU, mastergrowers!

It is quite beautiful, I would appreciate it for what is is!!! And, it was FREE!!

Oh David, I am disappointed and won’t look for the silver lining. I know that I can grow and bloom warscewiczii but I wanted to know that you could do dowiana! My only dowiana is a selfing of two very good cultivars and the most recent growth looks healthy, but not mature enough to bloom. Now I will keep wondering if I will ever bloom it. I think it is harder than warscewiczii.

Latest posts

Back