Not a slipper, but it did have a pouch!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamD

Catasetinae Crazed
Reaction score
An upside down pouch even! Ok... Non resupinate...

So this

Plus this

Equals this, so far

The cross is Ctsm. pileatum var. imperiale x Ctsm. Dagny 'Falkor', and it was a chance, collaborative effort. Fred Clarke was hosting our OSOGSL 3rd annual Orchid Seminar. It just so happened I had a blooming female catasetum at the time. Now I've never seen the male blooms of this plant as this is it's first blooming. He asked if I'd bring it to the seminar, and also asked if I had any blooming males. I told him I didn't, but might know someone who does. So I emailed the only other person I know in our group who grows catasetinae, Marilyn LeDoux. When I thinned my collection I gave her some things that were near and dear to me in case I'd ever build my collection back. She just happened to have two blooming Dagny clones I gave her, this one and my awarded one. Since I'd always liked this one better, I opted for it.

The time came and Fred did what he does best, he gave a baby making demonstration with our two plants. Now this cross is one we're just having fun with, nothing serious. But one has to start somewhere. In the future this is something I'd like to do much, much more of with this group. The genetic variation in offspring is so random, color and form between sibs seems to be a crap shoot. The variation in pileatum var. imperiale crosses seems to be even greater than other species within the genus, giving testament to the theory that it may be a natural hybrid between macrocaprum and pileatum. But, I digress...

So wish me luck on this venture! I'll post pics of the male pileatum flowers if I ever get any!

love the first one, second one, not so much.

What was your vision in combing these two??
I know pileatum makes great hybrids.

Good thing is that these plants tend to bloom very very fast out of flask.
So I hope to see the results in the near future.

love the first one, second one, not so much.

What was your vision in combing these two??
I know pileatum makes great hybrids.

Good thing is that these plants tend to bloom very very fast out of flask.
So I hope to see the results in the near future.

The second one is the female flower of pileatum. The males are much bigger and showy. This is one of two orchid groups with flower sexual dimorphism. So the vision was hopefully the male flowers of the pileatum are worth a damn. Like I said, it was a cross of convenience for learning purposes.

Best case scenario, the Ctsm Dagny flattens out the curled edges and lip of the pileatum and we get some solid reds out of the bunch. Worse case scenario, the flowers are dogs and we get some practice at growing this group from flask

Nice! I love catasetums too.. In my environment, they are much more tolerant of sub-optimal culture than Oncidiinae..

I've seen some spectacular catasetums come out of Malaysia and the Philippines. I've found this group to be tolerant of downright abuse.

Ive got fro Catesetum's from Clarke in spike in 2" pots! And they are super tolerant of abuse and neglect! Great species to work with. Really digging these.

Yes, these get very big but they come with big showy flowers.
I'm more of a cycnoches person, though.
The female flowes are so different and ugly on catasetum! lol
Cycnoches, both flower types are similar and pretty.

Btw, I thought catasetum was the same in that they make flowers of both sexes but on a different spike, not on different plant??
Your wording made me curious.

Careful, some get big. Here's the male parent plant

Wow!! That is huge. I just acquired my first catasetinae type orchid, Fredclarkeara After Dark 'SVO Black Pearl'. I'd like to get some more, but they need to stay compact.:)

Btw, I thought catasetum was the same in that they make flowers of both sexes but on a different spike, not on different plant??
Your wording made me curious.

You are correct.

It seems the evolution is trending toward making plants of one sex, in that some plants, no matter their culture, will tend to bloom male while others tend to bloom female. I wish I had 100,000 years to stick around and find out!

You are correct.

It seems the evolution is trending toward making plants of one sex, in that some plants, no matter their culture, will tend to bloom male while others tend to bloom female. I wish I had 100,000 years to stick around and find out!

Interesting! If they are stable that way, at least they are reliable. :)

My cycnoches do both.
Last year, one bloomed late summer with female flowers. Slightly larger than male flowers but smaller number, last longer and I think smelled better too.
Then in late fall, the same plant made makes flowers.
That plant is now making two spikes at the same time. I am so excited about which sex these will be this time! :)

I have a Fredclarkaria that is approaching that size!!! Might have to sell it just to save room. That said, when she blooms it is the most heavenly fragrance!

Wow!! That is huge. I just acquired my first catasetinae type orchid, Fredclarkeara After Dark 'SVO Black Pearl'. I'd like to get some more, but they need to stay compact.:)

Fred Clarke of SVO is breeding miniature catasetinae. Check out his list sometime. Anything with denticulatum in it will stay very compact. I'm talking 4 inch pot for multi growth specimen.

Latest posts

Back