NOID assistance

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lillyn

Reaction score
Picked up this little NOID years ago at Hausermann’s Orchid show in Chicago. Maybe from there or Fox Valley Orchids; unsure. Lost his tag, so seeking help in ID. He’s surviving, but not growing; never bloomed. Sits in north window, watered weekly with fish tank water and occasional fertilization. Leaves smooth, slightly shiny. Has never pushed out another leaf in all the time I’ve had him?! This one a slightly darker green leaves than my others with a silvery netting overlay. Undersides of leaves are a greenish purple. Thinking if I had an idea of what variety he is I could adjust growing conditions and (at least) get a third leaf? Thanks!

Attachments

• DBB5EFC4-5D44-489F-B078-FC31435A083A.jpeg
    DBB5EFC4-5D44-489F-B078-FC31435A083A.jpeg
    225.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 3EC278F4-E479-4D8D-A89D-BCE3E7FF4762.jpeg
    3EC278F4-E479-4D8D-A89D-BCE3E7FF4762.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 22
Looks like a phaleonopsis, but no idea which one.
Interesting. I could have sworn that tag had said he was a paph. Back when I got him I was killing phals, but able to grow paphs. Sacrificed a lot of plants to the god of compost in the beginning. Hmmm...if he's a phal, odd that he's not happy as all the other phals by him are thriving. My luck to have picked a moody one.

There are several mottled leaf Phals, including schilleriana, stuartiana, and philippinensis. Could be any of those or a hybrid involving them.
Thanks! I guess I'll be looking them up and see what the cultural differences are between the "normal phals" and this little guy are. He's missing something, because he's grown roots, but otherwise not changed size in nearly four years!

I'm also all in for Phal... you need to repot every second year... and probably need a little more light than in a window facing North (but not too much, though)... give it a bit more fertilizer than you normally reckon, i.e. 3 out of 4 waterings, but make sure to flush the medium thoroughly once in awhile (f.ex. x at least once a month)...and I'm sure we will see which of the possibilities mentioned by Tony, that you are dealing with!

I'm also all in for Phal... you need to repot every second year... and probably need a little more light than in a window facing North (but not too much, though)... give it a bit more fertilizer than you normally reckon, i.e. 3 out of 4 waterings, but make sure to flush the medium thoroughly once in awhile (f.ex. x at least once a month)...and I'm sure we will see which of the possibilities mentioned by Tony, that you are dealing with!
Thank you so much for tips! I did repot last year as medium was looking a bit sad, but not terrible. I'm thinking of moving it to just off side of SW window that gets dappled light through trees outside, a bit more bright/indirect (watching closely) to see how it responds. Anyone know if/how the silvery netting in response to light intensity? If not, I'll just look at shade of green/look for burning. I will fertilize more often, but weakly. I have been good about flushing well at each watering. a grower at Hausermann's Orchids open house impressed that upon me years ago. At a quick look, thinking it may be a philippinesis, but more investigation needed.

Interesting. I could have sworn that tag had said he was a paph. Back when I got him I was killing phals, but able to grow paphs. Sacrificed a lot of plants to the god of compost in the beginning. Hmmm...if he's a phal, odd that he's not happy as all the other phals by him are thriving. My luck to have picked a moody one.
You can tell from the root it is definitely phalaenopsis, 100% sure. Needs to see day/night temperature change in the fall to bloom in spring. Needs more light and water, good humidity and very little fertilizer for now. Mike

Back