No Stonei Unturned

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I was innocently watering my plants today and noticed this sheath on my 3 footer of a stonei plant that has been hiding amongst the lowiis for the past 4 years.

Imagine my excitement when I fondled her base to find a bulge šŸ˜.

Letā€™s pray I donā€™t screw this one up by doing something silly and blast it.

You can consider this my first stonei to bloom for me. Which is itself a feat and honor, considering the fact that I was born a ā€™stoneā€™sā€™ throw away from its habitat in Kuching (Borneo).

A treasured division from Samā€™s collection.

A1C33D73-D58C-496F-BBE7-4DCC60BF515D.jpeg6BD018DC-8DC1-47C7-B5A3-FD1979BB5225.jpeg

Hello,
Do stonei like drier conditions! I ask because I have murdered about 6 of these beauties. They always seem to die of some sort of rot. I have one that has survived. It seems to be doing well and has blades about 12 to 14 inches frome base to tip. I wouls love for it to bloom!
George

Stonei comes from low elevation (sea level up to 500m) in Borneo, so very warm and constantly wet, but on the rock cliff.
So, you want well-draining potting mix but keep the plant warm and moist at all times for best results.
Yes that is correct. I never let it dry out completely. Warm temperatures all year.

Not knowing any better, I was given a stonei and I stuck it in S/H culture. Itā€™s not the fastest grower Iā€™ve ever seen, blooming the first time about 5 years after I got the ā€œNBSā€ plant and blooming every other year since.

It seems to do great out on my hot, humid deck all summer, then stalls over the winter indoors.

Both of my stonei plants ("standard" and alba) seem to love water. I grow in SH and both have roots down in the reservoir with active growing tips.

Latest posts

Back