No roots, No Problem?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one needed to be reseated in the pot since the roots were pushing it sideways. So here's a little update on the roots and a new growth.
Nice work. I'm too afraid to look at my roots.. going into the no grow season for me now with the temps.. I will need to bring one or two up to the AC. Hopefully you can keep them growing through the summer both roots and leaves! Keep us posted come July / August. Good luck!!

Believe it or not that is a 5 YO kovachii. I would be happy to get seedlings that size. Arias gave me a blooming size one in Montreal, of course it's still there. :(

https://www.horizenhydroponics.com/
https://www.orchidweb.com/supplies/potting-media/grodan-grow-cubes-aka-rock-wool
The biggest issue I have had is pricing is wildly variable. I got my first 2cu ft bag for around $45, now pricing goes from $55-75 with shipping.

Just checked early this AM too.. yes price is widely variable. Especially with shipping in the states. Amazon is close to $65 with taxes. This stuff is so light weight I was surprised by the shipping cost, probably the size of the large bag. Would be good to track down a local hydroponics store and see what the cost is for picking up a bag. But seems to be plenty still here in the states at the moment.. I am still working through my first bag, but will end up picking more up before we go into this fall / winter.

2 cu. ft. bag of Grodan Mini-Cubes is about $35 at my local hydroponics store. They also carry the chunks. It's my go to source for fertilizers, coarse perlite, and pots. For some reason, the prices are much better than at two other hydroponic stores in my area. I'm not complaining:cool:

Live sphagnum moss from neighboring pots became established on the surface of Phrag. longifolium and sargentianum. I've kept a close eye on it, and both plants are doing fine. I'm not sure if it's of any benefit, but it is supposed to have some antibiotic properties.

Last edited:
I wish I had a local hydroponic store that carried it for $35. Already onto my second bag this year.

Latest posts

Back