nice Cochlopetalum hybrid

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetmorrisart

Reaction score
I almost never bother with this because I’d rather post paintings (and there are some more interesting things coming up which I may share in one form or another), but for now there’s this old reliable, my liemianum x victoria-regina from Oak Hill:

seaofpaphs.jpg

It also gives you some incite into my paph-growing setup. :rollhappy:

Nice flower. For what it is worth, I subscribe to Guido Braem's view that we do not know which plant the name victoria-regina actually was intended to refer to. The correct name to use is chamberlainianum. The cross (chamberlainianum x liemianum) has been registered as Paph Salvatore Dali in 1991 by H. Doll.
Both chamberlainianum and victoria-regina were described in and advertisment in the Gardner's Chronicals back in 18??, being offered for sale at auction, at the SAME time by the SAME FIRM. They were descibed as DIFFERENT plants with different leaves and flowers. The description of chamberlainianum is recognizable as what we (of a certain number of years) have always thought of as chamberlainianum. The description of victoria-regina is clearly of a different plant and flower, and it is vague enough it could be any of several of the other cochlopetalums, but definitely NOT chamberlainianum. Therefore, I think Braem was right and Cribb was wrong. If you agree with Guido, then the name fo the hybrid is Salvatore Dali.
see Braem's comments elsewhere on this forum.
Thanks
Leo

Thanks for the info, Leo. I actually remember reading that thread, though I didn't have any reason to comment on it. In my mind, I think of it as Salvador Dali, but I just typed out what was on the tag when posting because of the "dilemma". I doubt I'll ever bother to change the Oak Hill tag--looking at it and the rest takes me to a happy place...my very favorite of the open to the public nurseries to visit.

Oak Hill is definitely my favorite orchid range to visit. Possibly more variety of species orchids than Andy's, at hard to beat the prices, and some really interesting high quality crosses. Fun place to dig.
Another favorite is Carolina Orchids, they have always had a good selection of Paphs, and recently they aquired a large private collection that was being liquidated. They have a great selection of species beyond the Paphs and Bulbos, lots of Lycaste, and I love the back and forth dialog I have running with Tom, always good for a laugh. So if you are in the Charlotte area they are worth visiting.

So, if I have a plant named victoria-regina, is it chamberlainianum or victoria-regina??? Too confusing...

Guido and I would say you have chamberlainianum. Really not too difficult. The name victoria-regina simply is too vague to know what it refers too. Cribb decided that it was referring to the same plant described sequentially second in the same publication as chamberlainianum. The description of chamberlainianum is good, recognizable as the plant that Wood, Garay and others in the 1970's called chamberlainianum. BUT what Cribb ignored was that in that publication it was the SAME authors who described the two plants as different. Low knew his orchids, if he thought the two plants were different then they were different. Paph chamberlainianum is a well established concept. So the name chamberlainianum should stand, and the name victoria-regina should be dropped because there is no plant in cultivation that matches that description.

Did I recount this right Guido? correct me if I missed something.
Thanks
Leo

Latest posts

Back