Newcomer.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Phragmental

Hello,

I'm new to 'Slippertalk', and having just had a quick look at it I am surprised at how good it is, and what it covers. The Parentage site is huge and so very good. I will now be able to put the correct label on my multi-flowering Paph.

I have been growing orchids for 39 years and at first hated those large 'Brown' Paphs, however, since the mass introduction of the multi-flowering types my interest has been rekindled.

Having always been unsure of the bark mix compost for Paphs I had a very close look at their roots using a home microscope. Their roots are entirely clothed in fine root hairs which radiate all round the root, unlike the normal epiphyte which only has roots at the back of the root which cling on to its host.

So this got me thinking, and the medium that I find is working very well for me goes like this:

It's a three part mix.

1. Vermiculite.
2. Grit about the size of a match head or slightly larger.
3. A rough type of peat garden potting compost.

Quantities go like this: Three equal amounts of Vermiculite, two of grit, and two of compost.

This so far works very well.

That's it for now. Phragmental.

And yes, most Paphs and Phrags are not epiphytic...a few are (lowii for one) but many are terrestrial or Lipophytic. (I think I spelled that wrong...)

Just remember that lipophytic plants require regular liposuction. :rollhappy:
(sorry Heather)

I didn't know that lowii is epiphytic - that might explain why I find that one easier not to kill.

Phragmental - welcome!

I find this site very informative too, even though I do not grow many slippers.

Interesting that you are finding a mix with so much vermiculite to work well. It must be a larger size of vermiculite than what is generally available at nurseries in the US.

Hello and welcome from Germany, I'm very sure you will get plenty of information on this site and btw there is also a department for non slipper orchids.

Best regards from Germany, GuRu

i thought most Paphs were considered terrestrial epiphytes (meaning that they grow through the loose leaf mold instead of deep into the soil)? i could be very wrong, though....
i think parishii is also sometimes epiphytic.

Latest posts

Back