Newbie needs advice

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, Joe S, here from NJ. I have 3 Phrags in my small collection of orchids (18). One is a No ID that I actually got to flower last year & then my cat promptly ate the first flower on the plant & the rest of the buds blasted! I'm trying to reflower it this year. No luck Yet. My 2 Latest buys are from a grower in Denver, Colorado. I will try to post pics later. They are both caudatum hybrid type orchids crossed with besseae. The fist is Phrag Belle Hogue Point (Eric Young x caudatum). The second is Phrag Beaumont (Memoria Dick Clements x caudatum). Both came potted in rock wool, which I know nothing about. Should I repot into WALDOR Phrag & path mix or leave them alone? How often should I water/feed them? Does anyone use Calimag or Seaweed extract, how about Epsom Salts. All advice is welcome. Thank you in advance & stay safe. Joe Sullivan.

Welcome from NYC. I grow some Phrags too. Are they in straight rockwool (cubes)? If the roots are good they should be OK but, you have to flush occasionally so the salts don't concentrate too much. We use a seaweed extract in our fertilizing and Epsom salts too.

I have been growing caudatum for quit a few years. The next couple months is when they will set buds and bloom. As a windowsill grower day length and intensity will be increasing. Cool nights and you can’t overwater this time of year as long as sun is shining. They are susceptible to rot especially after reporting.

Welcome from NYC. I grow some Phrags too. Are they in straight rockwool (cubes)? If the roots are good they should be OK but, you have to flush occasionally so the salts don't concentrate too much. We use a seaweed extract in our fertilizing and Epsom salts too.
Eric, Thanks for the response. Yes both my Phrags are in the cubed rockwool. I'll keep a close eye on them
I have been growing caudatum for quit a few years. The next couple months is when they will set buds and bloom. As a windowsill grower day length and intensity will be increasing. Cool nights and you can’t overwater this time of year as long as sun is shining. They are susceptible to rot especially after reporting.
Duck Slipper, Thanks for the info. I also grow on my window sill. I'll watch them. Joe S.

Joe, the choice of potting medium is more about your growing conditions than it is about the plants. What works well in the Waldor greenhouse might not be good on your windowsill, and vice versa.

For phrags, you want an open and airy mix that stays moist.

Joe, the choice of potting medium is more about your growing conditions than it is about the plants. What works well in the Waldor greenhouse might not be good on your windowsill, and vice versa.

For phrags, you want an open and airy mix that stays moist.
Ray, thanks for getting back to me. This is my first experience with the rock wool. I had planned to repot them in the repotme Phrag & Paph mix. I'll see if the y do ok first. Joe S.

Eric, Thanks for the response. Yes both my Phrags are in the cubed rockwool. I'll keep a close eye on them

Duck Slipper, Thanks for the info. I also grow on my window sill. I'll watch them. Joe S.
Ray, thanks for getting back to me. This is my first experience with the rock wool. I had planned to repot them in the repotme Phrag & Paph mix. I'll see if the y do ok first. Joe S.
Eric, do you use any shading on your windows for your Phrags? Do you think watering every third day is good for thePrags?. Thanks, Joe.

Mine are all in my greenhouse on the south side. Clear polycarb walls and translucent ceiling. Tons of bright diffuse light! They do great!
George

I have a south facing window. I use caudatums, grande’s, and Sorcerers Apprentice to diffuse the direct light on the paphs. They are right in front of the window. The only time I have ever sunburned my Phragmipedium’s is outside. Approximately 2 ft. above all the plants is a 6 bulb T5. If they are in an open enough potting mix, I don’t think you can overwater (especially this time of year). I also turn down my thermostat in the evenings to 64-65’. Caudatums should be sending up bloom spikes in a couple weeks.

I have a south facing window. I use caudatums, grande’s, and Sorcerers Apprentice to diffuse the direct light on the paphs. They are right in front of the window. The only time I have ever sunburned my Phragmipedium’s is outside. Approximately 2 ft. above all the plants is a 6 bulb T5. If they are in an open enough potting mix, I don’t think you can overwater (especially this time of year). I also turn down my thermostat in the evenings to 64-65’. Caudatums should be sending up bloom spikes in a couple weeks.
Thank you.

Latest posts

Back