New venustum - potting?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bolero

I just received some venustum 'alba' today and I have to say they look superb for seedlings. The seems to be growing very well.

However the problem I have is that they have very tall stems and there seem to be roots growing high up above some leaves on the plants. If I bury the plants just where the roots are then I would have to stake them as the plants are so tall so I have buried the stems a fair way into the pot in order for them to be more stable.

My question is........is this ok? Do they mind being buried a little deeper in the pot??? Will the roots above the leaves be ok and is this normal? Sorry I don't have any photos yet.

Interesting question ... sorry I cannot speak from experience on this one ... but have seen a picture of a paph on another forum that had this problem. In this case it seems the plant had been grown too dark. Someone here must know how to treat this problem. I can only guess that repotting deeper runs the increased risk of rotting if you end up with partially buried leaves ?

will photos be coming? I can't imagine repotting & partially buring leaves!

Bolero, my fairrieanums I think were similar in growth. I looked at the stems & leaf area and saw what appeared to be roots wanting to form. I cut off those random leaves & potted the plants to the base of the plant as normal. My plants are now growing very well and quickly. I think if you leave the leaves on it could cause rot. I have had many seedling paphs over the years like them & treated them the same way. Like all seedlings with growth abnormalities, the majority have grown on ok & flowered.

Thanks Roy, so if you pot them to the base of the plant and they are top heavy do you stake the growth? Is that ok to do? Otherwise they seem to lean and fall over in the mix as there's too much weight above the base of the plant?

I will take some photos and take one out of the pot later.

As you can see the roots are very low compared to the overall length of the stem which is quite long and top heavy. I am leaning them against the tags until they become more established. What do you think Roy (and others)??

I have to say that these seedlings are terrific and am very happy with the quality of them.

DSCF4616small.jpg

I've had a couple of plants like that over the years and I've always removed the lowest bottom leaf and potted it up the the where the main leaves start. Roots do form eventually near the main growth. That one leaf looks ready to come off anyway.

Bolero, yep, the plants are just like mine. Pot them as for a normal root system. Up to the base. YES, if any plant is unstable, put a stake in. If the plant is moving about it is reluctant to put out roots because they may get damaged. Once the plant is stable it will put down roots without a problem.
Roy

Latest posts

Back