New variation of Cypripedium henryi?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to every one concerned about wild orchids. Take it easy,almost no people here collect Cypripedium. Who would like to waste hundreds of money more a month to pay the electricity bill?
I have six years of orchid planting experience though it's my first year to grow Cypripedium. I don't believe it's a such difficult one if it's planted in a environment with low temperature, suitable humidity.
I also think it is time to protect wild orchid now. Now I have been able to propagate dendrobium, paphiopedilum,
Holcoglossum by flasking. I am able to make quite a lot of seedling of those genus in two years if needed. It's said that Cypripedium is much difficult in flasking. But something should be done to make it clear,isn't that? And my friend in Kunming china has been succeeded in flasking Cypripedium flavum.
The most important thing to protect wild orchids is protecting its habitat.
Orchids propagated by flasking usually are good shape because of parents selecting. That will make wild orchids lost most of its market.

I appreciate your response and like I said, I wasn't knocking anyone.

I will say this: don't expect not to get some negative reception when you come right out and say that your plant was wild-collected. Unless it was rescued from a site that was about to be bull-dozed (which you did not specify), there is no reason to take a plant out of its habitat.

The impact that collection of any plant has on its conservation status should never be overlooked. With the amount of information I have read on this issue, I will not take someone's word for it that it's not a big deal.

What does that even have to do with anything? Like I said, I wasn't knocking San or anyone else (though I am obviously very critical of the idea of collecting plants from the wild). So the fact that it was a gift is irrelevant.

Now I didn't mean for this whole thing to turn ugly. It's a very interesting plant, and we are fortunate that San shared it with us. People should be able to respectfully express their opinions on something like wild-collecting plants without being made to look like a villain, though. It's not like I came out with guns blazing putting everyone down! I think I've said "I'm not knocking anyone" three times now!

Thanks to Fren and Eric for your kind words!
Also thanks to Joe and McKatlyn for your reminding!
I come here just for sharing my fun in planting slipper orchids instead of other purpose. Hope you enjoy it!

Thank you San - we are all grateful that you posted your photo. I know that you personally did not collect the plant, and I have nothing against you. I hope you understand that.

Thanks for sharing your orchid with us San. Joe and I were just stressing that a wild collected orchid is just that, no matter who collected it or if it was a gift. It doesn't change anything. That's not putting anyone down. It's a very pretty plant and I wish you all the best with it.

Thanks McKatelyn! I have more Paph. Some of them are going to bloom. I will post the pics here when they are blooming.

Hello San, wellcome on the forum. Are You the twin brother of Yijiawang who sold this henryi as subtropicum?

Latest posts

Back