New Toy

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a tripod. Just a bit lightweight for the camera. Was going to buy an EOS60D but slightly out of my price range at the moment.

Hey Finrod,

Before you buy, carefully research online. The 60D may indeed be a good camera, but you may also be just as happy with an older, obsolete model. Back a few years ago when I was buying a replacement for my original Digital Rebel (2003 model) the D50 was just out. After a careful inspection of the reviews I realized that the D40 was probably just as good, in fact probably better than the twice as expensive D50... so I bought the D40.

Also, beware of the silly marketing around resolution - my old Rebel was only around 4 MP, and the D40 is just over 10 MP, and the D50 at 15 MP, and the D60 is said to be 18 MP... so what. Nowadays EVERY DSLR has double digit MPs so don't worry about getting "more", you are just being sold something that is nearly meaningless. Same with really high ISO settings - meaningless. Marketers are just trying to get you to spend more money.

Hey Finrod,

Before you buy, carefully research online. The 60D may indeed be a good camera, but you may also be just as happy with an older, obsolete model. Back a few years ago when I was buying a replacement for my original Digital Rebel (2003 model) the D50 was just out. After a careful inspection of the reviews I realized that the D40 was probably just as good, in fact probably better than the twice as expensive D50... so I bought the D40.

Also, beware of the silly marketing around resolution - my old Rebel was only around 4 MP, and the D40 is just over 10 MP, and the D50 at 15 MP, and the D60 is said to be 18 MP... so what. Nowadays EVERY DSLR has double digit MPs so don't worry about getting "more", you are just being sold something that is nearly meaningless. Same with really high ISO settings - meaningless. Marketers are just trying to get you to spend more money.

Thanks for the advice. I know what you mean with all the hype around high resolution.

The SX50 I bought is "only" 12mp but I feel it takes a better picture than the L310 I had previously.

At the time I checked out a sony HX300. Similar zoom and 20mp.
Bought the Cannon instead and am actually quite happy with it.

Well i think you tried to buy moon but you can purchase half...... lol
When i read this thread than i was thinking that it must be some interesting thing but you proved me wrong.

Latest posts

Back