New species?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear Jorch,
theplant was not described officially as Paph charlesworthii var kanchanaburi, it came in trade under this name. So it had no official name before it was described officially as Paph. vejvarutianum.
Perhaps we will see in the future, when we have more information and when we have seen more plants, that it is only a regional form or variety of Paph. barbigerum.

Best gretings

Olaf

I am no expert, but I agree that it does look like barbigerum

I believe it is really a geographic variation of Paph charlesworthii with a white dorsal instead of pink. They have been imported into the US in the 1980's as charlesworthii and were largely discarded as being "inferior" versions of charlesworthii. People were disappointed when the dorsals were mostly white instead of pink. Charlesworthii and barbigerum are very closely related, my assertion is based on my impression of the one plant I saw. (not my plant, rather the plant of a grower who posts on the other slipper forum)

Thank you Olaf! I was hoping you can weigh in on this issue. :)

It does remind me of a barbigerum more than a charlesworthii, perhaps I'm used to seeing charlesworthii = big (pink) dorsals.. :p

Dear Leo, Hien and Jorch,
the plants were imported around 1980 to USA and also England with Paph. charleswortii and as var. kanchanaburi, because the plants were very similar and the bud looks like a charlewsworthii. But the flower is really different to charlesworthii. Here some examples

PaphiopedilumvejvarutianumBlteFront.jpg

The following pictures were published in 'Die Orchidee' in the article with the original description
2003-DieOrchidee-54-1-058Paph.vejvarutianum.jpg

Best greetings

Olaf

Thank you Olaf! The two sets of pictures look so different! The flower in the first set reminds me more of a tranlielianum and the second flower looks so barbigerum-like. :confused:

They are actually turning up as barbigerum. While the flower may resemble barbigerum somewhat, the plants are much larger...in fact, probably larger than charlesworthii. Take care, Eric

Dear Jorch,
Paph. tranlienianum is very different to this plant.
Here a typical clone of this species

tranlienianummit3BltenOlafGruss.jpg

Best greetings

Olaf

Latest posts

Back