New seedlings

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread is killer! Question for you, master seedling grower: I’m about one year into my first deflasking of 16 OZ-refugee fairrieanum. They had stayed a year too long in the flask. I got them all out and so far have lost only one rootless runt (I cried anyway). The seedlings were very difficult to separate, which I did anyway before this forum taught me that I should have given them time on one big clump first. They were also very leggy and I chose to respect their root/stem lines anyway, so they’re kinda tall. Some suggested I repot them deeper but I just couldn’t bring myself to disturb them again. Well, here they are now. I was waiting for the mix to tell me they needed repotting but the plants have come through a Chicago winter happily, watered twice a week with RO/K-lite, sometimes KelpMax, sometimes Cal-Mag added, pinch of oyster shell twice in the year. I never let them dry out and mist most mornings with RO. South/southeast windows. One seedling is very runty but I keep pulling for it. The rest seem hearty enough to me, if leggy. All advice appreciated. I had been hoping to see roots through the clear soup container and yogurt cups but so far I really don’t.

Hi,
the seedlings look healthy and you have got them to adapt to your environment, with minimum loss. I also deflasked a fairrieanum flask for the first time a few years ago and I took a similar pattern to yours. I possibly could have kept them a little wetter, but like all my seedlings treat them all the same. To be brief, I always put in single pots, to avoid any possible contamination. I monitor daily, feed kelpmax only for a month or so, then feed very low for around 6 months, keeping the medium of precision bark/perlite damp at all times. The aim is to get the seedling roots. I keep them on a heat mat in low light for up to a year, thats it. It may take longer than normal but the seedlings look healthier with this approach. When I do repot, I always "pot on" to avoid disturbance to the roots if possible. I possibly agree that to keep the whole flask together for several months may lead to better stronger seedlings/better roots before separating, but I have yet to try that, maybe next time.
Your seedlings have done great so far, so you could carry on a for a while as you are. You could also split up one of the compots into individual pots to try out first.

Gary
UK

I think your seedlings look great and your growing skills appear to be excellent. As for the size they will need to be to bloom well, adductum could be just 18 inches leaf span but anitum and randii both grow to a very large size. The best flowered plants of those species I have seen were about a meter across and had several mature leaf-fans. I hope that is not discouraging.

Thanks for the advice. To just keep them alive is rewarding. They are picking up speed but will just keep growing them as best I can until they do bloom. Never discouraged, but more determined! I have a phrag kovachii, over 10 years old still waiting to bloom, and a Paph Kolosand from 2012 that is just approaching FS so looking forward to the challenge.

Hi,
the seedlings look healthy and you have got them to adapt to your environment, with minimum loss. I also deflasked a fairrieanum flask for the first time a few years ago and I took a similar pattern to yours. I possibly could have kept them a little wetter, but like all my seedlings treat them all the same. To be brief, I always put in single pots, to avoid any possible contamination. I monitor daily, feed kelpmax only for a month or so, then feed very low for around 6 months, keeping the medium of precision bark/perlite damp at all times. The aim is to get the seedling roots. I keep them on a heat mat in low light for up to a year, thats it. It may take longer than normal but the seedlings look healthier with this approach. When I do repot, I always "pot on" to avoid disturbance to the roots if possible. I possibly agree that to keep the whole flask together for several months may lead to better stronger seedlings/better roots before separating, but I have yet to try that, maybe next time.
Your seedlings have done great so far, so you could carry on a for a while as you are. You could also split up one of the compots into individual pots to try out first.

Gary
UK
Thank you!!! This is encouraging! I think I can go another year before repotting....the mix looks good anyway, space is rather at a premium, so. I will hope for updates on yours too!

Hi
May i know what media you have used for freshly deflasked seedlings and subsequently when you shifted them to individual pots
sastry

Hi
May i know what media you have used for freshly deflasked seedlings and subsequently when you shifted them to individual pots
sastry

I keep it simple and use the orchiata precision with a little added perlite. I soak the bark with kelpmax for a good 24-48 hours before I use. I do keep a good eye on the pots as they are on a heat mat and can very quickly dry out. I only feed with kelpmax for the first few weeks any way so just try to keep the medium damp at all times. The feed strength after that will be very weak as I may need to water 3-4 times a week.

Gary

Latest posts

Back