New seedlings

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely looking collection of plants Gary. Looks like you have got everything spot on for them.
I've no experience of raising from flask, but definitely a big fan of the heatmat treatment - all my plants have put on great roots with mats on timer overnight. My phil.roebellini is threatening to burst its pot!
Very envious of your spidermen - thats one I'd love to have in the collection. :)

Lovely looking collection of plants Gary. Looks like you have got everything spot on for them.
I've no experience of raising from flask, but definitely a big fan of the heatmat treatment - all my plants have put on great roots with mats on timer overnight. My phil.roebellini is threatening to burst its pot!
Very envious of your spidermen - thats one I'd love to have in the collection. :)

The heatmat treatment is something I need to expand on for some of my other plants. Ed (Phraggy) also gets excellent results in the form of a heated sandbed. It certainly is an area that produces results. Looking forward to getting all the seedlings to FS as soon as possible.

Gary

Looks like the heatmats are working very well for you -- coupled with your growing skills which are second to none. The growth,as shown in your pics, is phenomenal, looks like you'll be short of room again in another year or two!!!
Very well done Gary, you make me so envious.

Ed

Thanks Ed, I will admit whatever I seem to try is working even though I am very cautious. I try not to push the boundaries too far as the seedlings are still very tender and young. They seem to be getting all they need from the small quantities I'm providing and with regular watering and their growing environment, hopefully they will progress well within the next year or so. I pick up a lot of information on this forum, so it's thanks all round aswell.

Gary

Impressed, you will soon run out of room:evil:
I know, I am there:p

With a moderate 3m x 3m greenhouse, space is a premium already. With this amount of potentially large multis, it may not be long before I'm in serious trouble. May need to ask the wife for a greenhouse extention.:rollhappy:

Gary

With a moderate 3m x 3m greenhouse, space is a premium already. With this amount of potentially large multis, it may not be long before I'm in serious trouble. May need to ask the wife for a greenhouse extention.:rollhappy:

Gary

Don't ask ---- just do it!!!! the consequences wont hurt that much and the bruises will go after a few days!!

Ed

I'm envios!! Excellent growing, in a few years you could possibly have a thriving carper orchid business, I'd buy plants off you

Thought I'd give an update on the seedlings I deflasked over the last few of years.

Paph adductum approx. 24cm. Multigrowth plants.

Paph anitum approx. 22cm

Paph randsii approx. 23cm

Paph sanderianum approx. 30cm

Paph Lebeau x adductum approx. 42cm

Paph Wossner Spiderman approx. 40cm

Paph Death Star x anitum approx. 28cm

Paph fairreanum approx. 30cm. Bloomed after 3 yrs out of flask and now has 3 new growths. A few more of these approaching FS this year.

Really pleased with how the deflasking has gone and learnt a great deal. Accepted that some of the species, ie anitum, adductum & randsii are slow but they are picking up speed as they strengthen.

Gary
UK

Nice, thanks for sharing. Those fairries look especially nice! :p
Hmmm, I have a mystery Paph I received a while ago that looks a lot like your adductum!

Great job!
Do you have them all on heat mats?

I grow most of them on the heatmat, especially at the beginning until a good root system is established. I then move them off but occasionally alternate them with other seedlings. I may wish to dry out the pots slightly more so the heatmat is a good way as it only takes the odd day or so. This has worked very successfully for me over the last couple of years so was wondering if the warmer temps from below helped nutrient uptake? It's set around 22C mark so it's thermostatically set.

Gary

Another bit of an update on the anitum/adductum/randii seedlings I began this thread with. They are all picking up pace as they grow larger. Just repotted the randsii as they were getting a bit root bound. To be brief, the anitum (yellow label-single growth plants) are around 32cm leafspan. The multigrowth adductum (pink label plants) are around 30cm and so are the randsii. They look healthy and I know there is a way to go on these, but any ideas on how large they need to be to bloom would be interesting.

Gary
UK

DSCF4377 by Gary Dobbs, on Flickr

DSCF4379 by Gary Dobbs, on Flickr

DSCF4378 by Gary Dobbs, on Flickr

DSCF4380 by Gary Dobbs, on Flickr

DSCF4385 by Gary Dobbs, on Flickr

Thought I'd give an update on the seedlings I deflasked over the last few of years.

Paph adductum approx. 24cm. Multigrowth plants.

Paph anitum approx. 22cm

Paph randsii approx. 23cm

Paph sanderianum approx. 30cm

Paph Lebeau x adductum approx. 42cm

Paph Wossner Spiderman approx. 40cm

Paph Death Star x anitum approx. 28cm

Paph fairreanum approx. 30cm. Bloomed after 3 yrs out of flask and now has 3 new growths. A few more of these approaching FS this year.

Really pleased with how the deflasking has gone and learnt a great deal. Accepted that some of the species, ie anitum, adductum & randsii are slow but they are picking up speed as they strengthen.

Gary
UK
This thread is killer! Question for you, master seedling grower: I’m about one year into my first deflasking of 16 OZ-refugee fairrieanum. They had stayed a year too long in the flask. I got them all out and so far have lost only one rootless runt (I cried anyway). The seedlings were very difficult to separate, which I did anyway before this forum taught me that I should have given them time on one big clump first. They were also very leggy and I chose to respect their root/stem lines anyway, so they’re kinda tall. Some suggested I repot them deeper but I just couldn’t bring myself to disturb them again. Well, here they are now. I was waiting for the mix to tell me they needed repotting but the plants have come through a Chicago winter happily, watered twice a week with RO/K-lite, sometimes KelpMax, sometimes Cal-Mag added, pinch of oyster shell twice in the year. I never let them dry out and mist most mornings with RO. South/southeast windows. One seedling is very runty but I keep pulling for it. The rest seem hearty enough to me, if leggy. All advice appreciated. I had been hoping to see roots through the clear soup container and yogurt cups but so far I really don’t.

Attachments

• 37D4858F-0CF5-45F3-AC27-BEC014280E44.jpeg
    37D4858F-0CF5-45F3-AC27-BEC014280E44.jpeg
    248.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 885DA0B3-1BD4-49FB-A789-6F75E52CDC3A.jpeg
    885DA0B3-1BD4-49FB-A789-6F75E52CDC3A.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 370F8FDC-6EA5-4E02-B2EA-6B5E0FF47A73.jpeg
    370F8FDC-6EA5-4E02-B2EA-6B5E0FF47A73.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 15
  • ED328F9F-E8B7-4B70-BFE2-3EB5618F3748.jpeg
    ED328F9F-E8B7-4B70-BFE2-3EB5618F3748.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 14
  • 52083865-308A-4F62-BBA5-3D76D4F51ADF.jpeg
    52083865-308A-4F62-BBA5-3D76D4F51ADF.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 14
  • FF2321DF-AB96-496D-A585-79D71086D4A5.jpeg
    FF2321DF-AB96-496D-A585-79D71086D4A5.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 93A543CE-71B6-4A11-9394-C613C8D742E1.jpeg
    93A543CE-71B6-4A11-9394-C613C8D742E1.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 14
  • F31FA55E-A8F3-439B-94E1-17FE16CA62E1.jpeg
    F31FA55E-A8F3-439B-94E1-17FE16CA62E1.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 12
I think you should be planting deeper. They look healthy enough. Maybe combine all into another community pot.

Last edited:
Another bit of an update on the anitum/adductum/randii seedlings I began this thread with. They are all picking up pace as they grow larger. Just repotted the randsii as they were getting a bit root bound. To be brief, the anitum (yellow label-single growth plants) are around 32cm leafspan. The multigrowth adductum (pink label plants) are around 30cm and so are the randsii. They look healthy and I know there is a way to go on these, but any ideas on how large they need to be to bloom would be interesting.

Gary
UK

Gary
UK

I think your seedlings look great and your growing skills appear to be excellent. As for the size they will need to be to bloom well, adductum could be just 18 inches leaf span but anitum and randii both grow to a very large size. The best flowered plants of those species I have seen were about a meter across and had several mature leaf-fans. I hope that is not discouraging.

Latest posts

Back