New seedlings

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carper

Reaction score
After a good search finally got hold of 3 flasks I've been after for a while. At one of the biggest shows in the UK, my order of Paph randsii, paph adductum and paph anitum finally arrived. Can say that I'm very pleased with all the flasks and have now potted them up in small orchiata after a soak in kelpmax. All look very healthy especially the adductum. A bit surprised to find after deflasking that some of the seedlings had between 2 & 5 growths. These didn't look like separate seedlings but part of the one growth with very good root systems. I didn't and would not have been able to separate these so potted them up as they were in the flask. Will possibly not feed for a few weeks but then very weak with a few doses of kelpmax along the way.

Gary
UK

So Hilmar has randsii seedlings? I have some that I got from Taiwan (HS) in 2012. They grew slowly but did not take-off until I sprayed them with mancozeb. Then, suddenly a spurt of growth and sice then they have been growing at a steady, albeit not fast, speed. One of them starts with a side-shoot now so probably something is going to happen within a few years. Your anitum and adductum looks similar to some that I got from HS this spring, perhaps its the same source? Glass bottles, right?
I cannot give any hints regarding the adductum/anitum, just that I have problems growing them.
Good Luck!

So Hilmar has randsii seedlings? I have some that I got from Taiwan (HS) in 2012. They grew slowly but did not take-off until I sprayed them with mancozeb. Then, suddenly a spurt of growth and sice then they have been growing at a steady, albeit not fast, speed. One of them starts with a side-shoot now so probably something is going to happen within a few years. Your anitum and adductum looks similar to some that I got from HS this spring, perhaps its the same source? Glass bottles, right?
I cannot give any hints regarding the adductum/anitum, just that I have problems growing them.
Good Luck!

Bjorn,

I think the anitum were obtained from HS as Hsiao did not have any. However, the adductum were his. I have been told many struggle with these but that's a challenge. The randsii apparently was the last flask of a selfing of his awarded plant. I'm expecting slow growth but hopefully I can settle them in and get through the first few months. Do you keep yours fairly wet or do you let them dry between waterings?

Gary

Bjorn,

I think the anitum were obtained from HS as Hsiao did not have any. However, the adductum were his. I have been told many struggle with these but that's a challenge. The randsii apparently was the last flask of a selfing of his awarded plant. I'm expecting slow growth but hopefully I can settle them in and get through the first few months. Do you keep yours fairly wet or do you let them dry between waterings?

Gary

Gary, there is a chance that the randsii will grow faster than regular since they are 'domesticated' . But mine were pretty slow to begin with. Now, they are quite sizeable, some 20-30cm LS. Still have 5-10 of them, some were lost to rot of course. I never let the paphs dry out:D mine are always wet. Except for those requiring a dry rest of course. Be careful with the randsiis, they do not have extensive root systems, at least mine do not, so it may be a good idea with early pot, up. I never do it myself though, always a year at least in community flats. Sometimes that turns ot to be a bad idea, as with a flat of sanderianum I pottet up, never seen such brittle roots. Killed half of them even if I tried to be careful. Well lesson learned and who needs 15 sanderianum?
Good luck, keep us posted:clap:

Gary, there is a chance that the randsii will grow faster than regular since they are 'domesticated' . But mine were pretty slow to begin with. Now, they are quite sizeable, some 20-30cm LS. Still have 5-10 of them, some were lost to rot of course. I never let the paphs dry out:D mine are always wet. Except for those requiring a dry rest of course. Be careful with the randsiis, they do not have extensive root systems, at least mine do not, so it may be a good idea with early pot, up. I never do it myself though, always a year at least in community flats. Sometimes that turns ot to be a bad idea, as with a flat of sanderianum I pottet up, never seen such brittle roots. Killed half of them even if I tried to be careful. Well lesson learned and who needs 15 sanderianum?
Good luck, keep us posted:clap:

Apparently, the randsii are only about a year old so hopefully they will be faster. I was advised by Hilmar that he would and they do pot up individually and not as compots. So this is what I've done. I had a go at several flasks last year for the first time including sanderianum, fairreanum and kolopakingii and potted them in individually and they seem happy enough. I also thought about the problems of separating, problems with roots etc and it worked for me. Now I can just "pot on" like I always do with the orchiata. Will keep you updated with hopefully good progress.

Gary

Just thought I'd post an update on the seedlings which are just over 3 months out of flask. I didn't expect much but they have all have settled in very well. The randsii were around 9cm when I deflasked them and they average 14cm. The adductum have also increased in size from around 10 to 14cm. The anitum have increased the most with some around the 16cm mark. Fingers crossed as not lost any yet.

These are seedlings that are just over a year out of flask;

- Death Star x anitum have roughly doubled in size to around 15cm
- kolopakingii have gone to 21cm on average from 9cm

The sanderianum seedlings I split into single pots and left some in compots. They average 16cm from 8cm. The fairreanum have surprised me the most. Some have grown very well and I've put an image on to compare against a FS plant I have.

The Paph Lebeau x adductum is around 25cm and was the first flask I had.

The Paph Wossner Spiderman have gone from 9cm to some which are 26cm.

All the seedlings are on a heatmat set around the 20C mark. They also have supplementary lighting for around 6 hours a day. They are all in orchiata bark and I water them every other day as they are nearly dry throughout. The feed strength is normally around 100 u/S at most and I occasionally add Epsom Salts & Maxicrop. I feed Kelpmax every 3 weeks. Hopefully the growth will continue throught our winter months!!

Gary
UK

Looks like the heatmats are working very well for you -- coupled with your growing skills which are second to none. The growth,as shown in your pics, is phenomenal, looks like you'll be short of room again in another year or two!!!
Very well done Gary, you make me so envious.

Ed

Latest posts

Back