New Purchases

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Phal pal

I found a supplier :

Rock Ross
249 rang 4 ouest
ST-Anaclet QC
G0K 1H0
[email protected]

I ordered
1 X Cyp. Reginae @ $25 (4 yr old)
1 X Cyp. Guttatum @ $25 (1 yr old)
I am now waiting shipment!
Now that I have set the wheels in motion, I need some advice on where, how, with what environment etc etc etc!
I have had great success indoors with paphs, dendrobiums and even a coelogenae crystata and one paph maudiae. I raised a cymbidium outdoors last summer and had a wonderful show of flowers at Christmas (indoors).
I'm hoping for similar success outdoors with a little help from the 'experts'.

New plants have arrived

My purchases have just arrived and appear to be in great shape. I lrft them in thier packing/travelling medium and put them in the SE-facing window in the pebble tray with my phals and such. They are in 4" square pots in peat moss w/clay lumps and vermiculite (I think). Where should I plant them and in what type of soil? I was thinking of putting them in a raised bed in front of the window where they now sit (South-east exposure). I have a rose and a peony which thrive there. It gets sun until about noon or so.
Any comments or ideas would be most appreciated!:clap:

New growth

Well the Reginae is doing VERY well in the window. It has spurted up over 1" already and is looking very healthy. The Guttatum is still biding its time - roots still look healthy but the stem has yet to show any signs of life. The seller assures me that the Guttatum is a slow grower and needs a little more time. I'm prepared to wait but not forever.
When it comes to orchids, patience really is a virtue!!
I have one phal that is finally approaching blooming size after 6 years but I have a miltonia cross and a brassia cross that are still in the fragile stage - enough growth to hold on but not enough to make progress.:confused:

It was in a 2" pot and was less than 3" across. I bought 5 orchids at the same time - all the same size for approx $7 apiece. I still have 3 left but the phal is the only one that looks like it will bloom in the next year or so. The other 2 have 'hung in' but haven't grown much at all in over 5 years!

If the others haven't grown much over the last 5 years, your culturing of them have not been correct. Seedlings should get larger and develop each growth larger to the point of maturity and blooming. Have you researched culture of your plants?

Your flower bed outside sounds suitable for the Cyp reginae... but be careful of slimy creatures that LOVE to munch your cyps..

However, the Guttatum needs special care, and it is very slow growing. I don't think growing the Guttatum indoor is a good idea as it dislike temperatures over 20C. Do a search for Cyp Guttatum on this forum, I believe there was a discussion on it earlier.

Good luck!

Slimy critters

Thanks for the tip Jorch. I had a bit of a problem with slugs on my hostas so I put crushed egg shells around them and that seemed to do the trick. The Reginae is over 2" now so I'm going to move it outdoors this weekend (surrounded by slug treatment and egg shells). I'll let you know how well it does.

The guttatum is still 'resting' but the room seldom gets much above 75 F. However, our summer days will often get over 80 so should I be concerned about that?:confused:

NYEric said:
If you live anywhere that has deer or squirrels look out or they will eat the growths.
Sounds like deer & squirrel barbecue season soon.

Phal pal said:
Now that I have set the wheels in motion, I need some advice on where, how, with what environment etc etc etc!

I think you should have researched this before buying the plants. Growing Cypripedium tends to be a learning process unless you just happen to have the right conditions in your area and soil. There's no way to test if insect residents will munch unless you just plant them and see. These two plants may be practice plants for you, so don't be surprised if they die. My first Cyp died and I have yet to purchase a second one.

Keep in mind that the soil these plants are in rarely reaches anything close to room temperature, except right at the soil surface. It's quite cool in the soil, even only a few inches down from the surface. I would bury the pots they are in, or just replant outside to give them cool feet. I look forward to the progress of your plants. Keep us updated.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. My entire orchid-growing has been a continuous learning curve. I have managed to lose a few but I have also managed to win a good number as well. I'll keep you all posted on the results of this latest experiment.

Hey Phal pal,

I have some experience with growing C. reginae. You'll want to plant it outside right away (if you haven't already) in a fertile, organic but well-drained soil and keep it moist but not wet, in part shade. Fertilize it as you would a common garden perennial. This species is not that hard to grow. As for guttatum, I don't know very much about it but it comes from Alaska and Yukon and therefore doesn't tolerate very high temps - you'll want it in almost full shade, in a cool spot outside, or even indoors in a pot if you have a cool spot. It needs a long (4 months), cold winter.

Good luck,

Joe

I have been growing Cyps for over 20 years....insects have never been a problem Squirrels are a problem, in digging them up, but that applies only to newly planted cyps, which I cover with wire mesh until they emerge in the spring. Slugs also leave them (mostly) alone...fortunately there are no deer in Queens,and my LI acaules haven't been touched by them yet. The major Cyp problem is fungal....once a plant gets fungus, it declines each year, until it eventually dies....and I am afraid that fungicides may do more damage than the disease....Take care, Eric

New growth

Thanks for the great advice everyone. I put both plants in the ground last week and the Cyp Reginae is doing GREAT. It is about6 " tall and looking very prosperous in my front garden where it gets about 3/4 day of sun. I put the guttatum close to the house in the front garden facing ENE. It gets good morning sun but is shaded the rest of the day. Our winters usually start around early Nov and last til end March with temp varying from just above freezing to a good 4 weeks or so of hard cold with lots of snow so I don't think that will be a problem. I'll just have to wait and see how quickly it starts to show signs of growth. I haven't seen anything yet.

Latest posts

Back